Sapodilla Lovers - good for Southern California?

behlgarden(9)August 19, 2011

Hello, does anyone has sapodilla tree in their yard in southern california and if so, what veriety is it and how are the results so far. I am in riverside county and am planning on planting one that is grafted kind but there are choices in varities available in grafts.

please help me if it makes sense to grow here in So Cal.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicalgrower89(10b)

I've heard of alano sapodilla taking cold spells in south florida pretty well. I'm not sure, but I think it can do well in So Cal.

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 10:40AM
RodneyJS

I bought a Hasya sapodilla not too long ago, and it's doing well. Sapodilla is supposed to be a slow grower, but it's been putting out growth at a steady pace. I know of someone in Escondido that has an Alano sapodilla.

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 11:30AM
Meomeo12

I have one tree that had been on the ground for 7 years, it's 8-9ft now.I have been getting fruits from it every year for the last 6 years. it's having fruit on it right now about the size of a cherry. I don't know what the cultivar was because it was not listed when I bought it years ago. When I bought it,(in mimosa, Anaheim), it has a couple fruits on the tree already. It's fruits is long and not round. the tree is not very large but the fruit tasted very sweet. It's seems to do well and likes the Garden Grove, Orange county weather. Oh, I only have one tree but still get fruit from it so it must be self-pollinated variety.

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 9:01PM
More Discussions
Help ID this Papaya plant
Hi A friend gave me a seedling grown from a seed they...
eagleeyesg
Lychee Mauritius finally blooming ....
My 10-year old Lychee Mauritius is finally in bloom....
bananafan
Lychee like grapes
I just sat down reading some of the forum posts with...
zone10aridgardener
Tips on rooting wax jambu
Hi Everyone, I'm attempting to root some cuttings from...
stu123
Need help choosing containers for red maradol papaya
Hi friends, I am planning to start red maradol papaya...
vidnand
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™