Bareroot planting time

littlefrog(z6 NY)July 19, 2006

I'm getting a few bareroot belladonna delphiniums replaced, and I get a choice of shipping date- which is better for bareroot planting- fall or spring? Does it matter?

Jill

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gottagarden(z5 western NY)

I've only ever heard of bareroot shrubs and trees, not perennials. Trees usually do better planted in the fall because of the high water requirements.

I have better luck with planting perennials in the spring. I find the fall clearance plants often don't get properly established before winter and die. Sometimes frost heaves them out if they are small.

For delphiniums I'd recommend spring.

Bookmark   July 20, 2006 at 8:01AM
faltered(Hamburg NY Z5/6)

I got a few bareroot perennials a couple years ago from Wayside I think. I planted mine in the spring and they took off that same year. I think either way they should be fine, but my tendency would be to sway towards spring to let them get established more.

Tracy

Bookmark   July 20, 2006 at 8:51AM
littlefrog(z6 NY)

gottagarden- I've seen quite a lot of bareroot perennials this year. this is my first time buying them though. I have noticed that they are cheaper than buying potted plants because they're easier to ship. And i have heard that they often have more developed root systems so they establish more quickly. And since they are dormant when you plant, there is usually less or no transplant shock.

I ask about this because I want to order some bare root peonies this fall, and they ship, and say to plant in the fall. But, just to be safe, I think I will order the delphiniums for next spring.

thanks!
Jill

Bookmark   July 20, 2006 at 4:35PM
More Discussions
Favorite Nursery in Capital Region
What's your favorite and why? Where is it located? I...
GardenMomma11
crepe myrtle trees
I recently moved to northern NY and I'm trying to grow...
dixieboy8833
Help with ID this plant
We visited Rockport Maine in September and noticed...
p.polyxenes
What do you do to keep the deer from nibbling your plants?
A gal in our garden club has had a horrible time with...
jean_mdc
Are there apples forming on your trees?
Hello, Last year I had hundreds of apples on my Granny...
lori_ny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™