Should I cut off all Baily fruit ?..I explain...

stanofhAugust 23, 2011

It has about 9 fruits the size of a large almond, very small apricot?..something like that. And, it hasn't flushed a new leaf all year since blooming. Then,the fruit began VERY slow growth in June. My Manila by now had large fruits to pick. Also,the no new leaves bothers me-it has finally flushed new leaves below the graft. For now,for energy pickup I'm leaving that-eventually that must be removed..next spring.

So,should I give up on fruit this year,and cut off all the fruit and stalks? try and get some more leafy growth?..it had been growing more than a foot a year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stanofh

The pic of my hand are the above graft fruits,the leaf flush and Mango next to it are BELOW graft. Below graft fruit is straight outta of the trunk-and not outta of Compton!(bad pun)

Full size

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 4:06PM
Andrew Scott

Okay, first off, I have to admit that I don't have years of experience like most of the mango growers here. However, if your not seeing any good vegatative growths since you have had these fruits develop, in my opinion, I would say that you should remove them.

I have seen fruits form on my small mango trees before, and even though they say that the tree will only hold what it can, the growth did slow down so I removed the fruit.

My thoughts were, if the tree is allowed to grow and get larger, than when it does fruit again, maybe I can allow more than fruit to hold.

I know from experience how hard it can be to remove those little fruits, especially when you have NEVER had fruits growing on a mango tree.

Good luck!
Andrew

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 6:13PM
simon_grow

I'm no mango expert but my mango trees that were holding fruit (Nam Doc Mai and Carrie) were not growing any new leaves untill I removed the fruit. Its been several weeks now and the Carries has lots of new growth and the Nam Doc Mai has lots of buds getting ready to open. They would have probably veged even if I left the fruit on but I want my trees to develope strong branches and leaves before letting it fruit. I feel this will better enable it to deal with its first real winter outdoors.
Simon

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 8:37PM
stanofh

Yeah,I thinks its time to give up on this year and get more foliage. If I had known in spring..but one tree isnt much of a sample.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 12:41PM
mangodog(palm springs 9B)

I'm singing with this choir, Stan! Snip the little jewels off and let the tree get back to its other business of growing....

mangoSniffer

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
Photo of Hayward ca Papaya in the SF bay area
Proof of what I have never seen before. The owner told...
stanofh
Lychee web worms attack!
I have been greatly saddened to see my Brewster lychee...
bananafan2
How to protect your tropical fruit trees from freezing?
Here in 9b fl, we're expecting some hours of freezing...
bananafan2
Hak Ip Lychee Blooming SoCal
Last year i decided to plant 3 lychee trees here in...
grox200
What would be the best fruits to grow in a mini jungle
Hi, I'm working on a small jungle area, and at...
giantgunnera
Sponsored Products
WallsNeedLove Fruit Stripes Self-Adhesive Wallpaper - WP150-8FT
$68.00 | Hayneedle
Hurricane Manual Wheatgrass Juicer
Overstock.com
John Boos Newton 24L x 18 in. Maple Reversible Cutting Board with Juice Groove a
$219.00 | Hayneedle
Citrus Zinger Biggie
$18.00 | Horchow
Red Vanilla Extreme White Fruit Bowls (Set of 6)
Overstock.com
New Original Hand Knotted Wool Pakistan Sepia Brown Chobi Area Rug H5994
BH Sun Inc
Olivia Maxweller 'Flowers with Fruit' Oversized Canvas Art
Overstock.com
New Silver Washed Blue Chobi Peshawar 8x10 Hand Knotted Pakistani Wool Rug H3800
BH Sun Inc
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™