morning glories

joelsm(z6)August 24, 2010

I live in an apartment in Fairport, NY-zone 5 (I think).

My Morning Glories are just budding now in their respective containers. I am aware that I should not fertilize the plants due to over-abundance of too many leaves-not buds. Anyways, the buds are slow-growing. Any suggestions to hurry up the budding- what kind of fertilizer? Or, just let them go?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penny1947(z6 WNY)

morning glories usually do best in very lean soil and they tend to be later than other annueals. I am not sure if there is a way to get them to open sooner or not but my suggestion for next year would be to try Cardinal climber instead of morning gloies. They are in the same family and bloom sooner but the flowers are much much smaller.

Penny

Bookmark   September 9, 2010 at 11:57AM
bernd ny zone5

I live in zone 5a, upstate NY. Our Morning Glories made a lot of leaves and started blooming only a week ago. They are in midday sun, climb on a metal fence and get regularly watered. I probably gave them a few 5-10-5 fertilizer pellets, that's why all the leaves.

Bookmark   September 14, 2010 at 4:18PM
rosalinda_gw

I accidentally grew some morning glories indoors one winter. I was surprised that they grew well and actually flowered on and off all winter. They are actually a perennial in warmer climates, so though I haven't tried it yet, I have thought of growing some indoors and planting them outside once the weather warms in the spring - maybe get earlier flowers? Since they are related to sweet potatoes, I also wonder if they would form some kind of fleshy root/tuber if I grew them in a pot all summer and overwintered them indoors. Might try it some year.

-Rosalinda

Bookmark   October 3, 2010 at 12:31PM
More Discussions
Are there apples forming on your trees?
Hello, Last year I had hundreds of apples on my Granny...
lori_ny
Asiatic Lilly buds gone
It happened last year and I just noticed again today....
wantoretire_did
wolves in ny state ???
Was wondering about the sightings of wolves in New...
lynnenychemung
Weeds
I have recently bought my great uncles house and the...
James_Christel
Favorite Nursery in Capital Region
What's your favorite and why? Where is it located? I...
GardenMomma11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™