OT - Teeny little flies in the house

wantoretire_didAugust 25, 2007

We are inundated with these little bitsy flies; they scamper fast and fly. I would say fruit flies, but fruit doesn't last around here. They are here and there, all through the house, including on my computer screen UUGGHHH. They aren't difficult to smash, but so annoying. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi,
Maybe they are Drain Flies aka Moth Flies.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Fly ID

Bookmark   August 27, 2007 at 9:19PM
gottagarden(z5 western NY)

How about fungus gnats? I used to have them because I kept the soil for houseplants moist. Once I started letting them go bone dry between waterings, the gnats went away.

Bookmark   August 28, 2007 at 3:07PM
sarahbarah27(5)

I would also say that they are fungus gnats, i just started seeing them in my house too.

Bookmark   September 6, 2007 at 5:05PM
wantoretire_did

I tend to let my plants dry out.........I think I'll put them in the garage for awhile. Thanks for your input.

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 6:42PM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

THis is a late reply but I have to agree with fungus gnats too. I have a problem sometimes in the winter with them b/c of all the plants I bring inside.

Penny

Bookmark   September 20, 2007 at 9:19AM
truebreed_yahoo_com

I am from Northern Lower Michigan. This small black fly problem is growing big time. Three years ago I started to notice the little critters all over in my house. (computer screen included) This was in the middle of the winter when I first noticed them. I threw all my house plants outside and did all the other things that I could find to do from the on-line forums. When I went to deer camp last fall (Nov 2007) I bombed the house with bug killer. Fruit files? I think not! We have always had fruit flies over the years and they always did their cycle in the fall. But these flies are a year round resident. I have checked all drains, garbage, beer cans, damp spots and don't have plants in the house anymore.
This is starting to become a big problem more people as I have seen from the internet from three years ago.

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 7:16PM
Chazy

If they are fungus gnats,you can kill their offspring growing in houseplant soil by watering it with cooled chamomile tea. I use it on my orchids,and it seems to work.

Nancy

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 1:16PM
lagrangeny(z6 NY)

Seems more like either Fruit Flies or RMF's (Rotting Meat Flies). Many times small children take friut and meat and play with them like toys and forget where they left them in the house.
Children lose toys in the most unusual places - so they can lose meat and fruit in places you'd never look.
You are probably past the point where dogs would sniff out the meat - because the meat is pretty bad by now.
Dogs don't care about fruit.
Unfortunately, it's time to start looking everywhere you would not expect.
Good luck !!!

Bookmark   November 27, 2008 at 9:51PM
More Discussions
Anyone Use New York State Nursery?
Anyone use the New York State Nursery? What were your...
edlincoln
What do you do to keep the deer from nibbling your plants?
A gal in our garden club has had a horrible time with...
jean_mdc
HAVE: N. Rome: U-dig Lily of the Valley
I have a gorgeous thick patch (or two :) of Lily of...
party_music50
pink yarrow gone wild
My pink yarrow is out of control. My neighbors can...
RachaelLemmon
Are there apples forming on your trees?
Hello, Last year I had hundreds of apples on my Granny...
lori_ny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™