HELP- what produce can I plant in the fall?

emilyfaithAugust 19, 2012

I live in upstate NY in the Binghamton/Whitney Point area and I am doing an internship project in order to graduate. I have been given this project with absolutely no help so I am all on my own and I am new to gardening. I need to research what vegetables/fruits I can plant now (late August/ early September) in 4 raised flower beds outside of a daycare. I need to find options that are low maintenance, that do not attract dangerous pests (since children will be nearby), and that are easy to grow. Google is getting me nowhere because my criteria is so extensive so I would GREATLY appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
party_music50

You should have good success with lettuces! in general, the same crops recommended for early spring planting are the best candidates for 'fall planting'. You are looking for fast-growing crops that prefer cooler weather. By "fast-growing" I'm talking about the number of days to maturity that are listed on seed pkts... REALLY-fast is 30 days, so if I were you I'd look for things that mature in 50 days or less. Things like lettuces, chards, maybe radishes and pea pods? Fast-growing herbs like cilantro and dill might do well, so are worth a try. Nice experiment! Wish I could be there with you to try it!

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 3:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stevelau1911

Plants like garlic, onions, radishes and beets are commonly grown in the fall.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 1:51AM
More Discussions
Free Seed Swap & Giveaway Victor NY April 04 2015
Seed Exchange & Seed Giveaway April 04, 2015 10:00...
mrsdlight
HAVE: N. Rome: U-dig Lily of the Valley
I have a gorgeous thick patch (or two :) of Lily of...
party_music50
Hummingbirds are back! and hungry!!!
I've had my feeders out for awhile and am finally seeing...
party_music50
Time for seed catalog fun
Well, catalogs and online lists. Also time to go down...
diane_nny
pink yarrow gone wild
My pink yarrow is out of control. My neighbors can...
RachaelLemmon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™