Wiggly worms!

weedyseedyAugust 23, 2013

Anybody got Burmese Snake Worms in their garden??? Them critters slither right out of the ground when you try to weed or dig and are just plain disgusting-----although my oldest son and I got a lot of fish bait!!!-----------------------------Weedy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanzone5(z5NY)

I don't know if these are Burmese snake worms but they sure are huge and have taken over my garden this year, leaving me with worm casting crumbles for soil, absolutely devoid of anymore organic matter. I have resisted adding compost in order not to feed them. They are this year's pests! They have caused my cedar mulch pathways to be uplifted, almost completely eaten, and spongy to walk on.

People say earthworms are good but these are destroying my soil, have eaten way too much of the nutrients meant for plants, and have ruined the texture of the soil to the point where it no longer holds much water. It just pours through the balls of crumble. I've never had this before and I don't like it!

I've done a search and it says it's in California, in warm soils. That's not upstate NY, so I wonder what is happening. All the gardeners I've spoken with have the same problem around here in Ulster County.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 3:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ponyexpress_1

I found this on them. http://awaytogarden.com/earthworm-101-with-great-lakes-worm-watch/

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 1:58AM
More Discussions
website change
why did they change the format for this site? it is...
jerome69
Asiatic Lilly buds gone
It happened last year and I just noticed again today....
wantoretire_did
Freeze warning
Hey Central NY! Get out there and pick the last of...
booberry85
Free Seed Swap & Giveaway Victor NY April 04 2015
Seed Exchange & Seed Giveaway April 04, 2015 10:00...
mrsdlight
Help with ID this plant
We visited Rockport Maine in September and noticed...
p.polyxenes
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™