The F word

gottagarden(z5 western NY)September 27, 2006

FROST! When do we usually get our first frost around here? (Rochester - Buffalo) A couple of years ago I missed the warning and lost all my coleus. They are so tender, I want to take cuttings before frost, but don't watch the news. So many tender perennials to get out of the ground, etc.

I have visitors coming for a couple of weeks, and typically I use the guest room for overwintering all my tender perennials and coleus cuttings, etc. But I'd rather wait until they are gone before I start stuffing this room with evidence of my plant addictions. (It gets crowded . . . .)

Suggestions? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penny1947(z6 WNY)

GG we could well get a frost before your visitors arrive. It feels like we are going to have an early winter. After today our temsps are going to be in the 50's low 60's during the day. I have already started taking cuttings of my tender perennials so I don't have as many HUGE plants to take care of inside over the winter...just lots and lots of little ones.

Penny

Bookmark   September 27, 2006 at 9:52AM
kareen(z5 NY Renss.Co.)

My coleus are still out....first year I have had luck with them . Didn't like Kong ....didn't do much but I got a trailing one that is wonderful . Please tell me how you save yours and sorry to ambush your post about frost ....I say better safe than sorry ....get them in soon. Kareen

Bookmark   September 27, 2006 at 10:20AM
pamghatten(wny5)

I've lost a choleus already .. maybe the storm that came through the Buffalo area Monday nite? The choleus looked great Monday, and looked like it was hit by frost (droopy & slimy)when I saw it yesterday. Very weird ... nothing else looks bad.

A friend that was at the house commented on it yesterday too.

Bookmark   September 27, 2006 at 1:08PM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

coleus are always the first plants to be affected by any cold wind or rain for me. I love them and have the ideal growing spot for them but they just don't do well for me up here. I used to have awsome displays down south. As soon as it started to get cold I would just take cutting, root them in water and overwinter them inside until it warmed up enough to put them back out in the spring.

Penny

Bookmark   September 28, 2006 at 8:05AM
More Discussions
ID this Critter?
These are showing up on my Joe Pye Weed in the early...
wantoretire_did
Anyone Use New York State Nursery?
Anyone use the New York State Nursery? What were your...
edlincoln
I have a severe case of spring fever - you?
Seeds are almost all arrived, and this weekend I plan...
ridgetop01
crepe myrtle trees
I recently moved to northern NY and I'm trying to grow...
dixieboy8833
Brown Recluse Spiders~WARNING!!!
Yes. They DO live in NY State. Have for quite some...
thosedarnsqurls
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™