Grow mango from seed

sapote(10a)August 21, 2013

In the past we had a debate about how best to germinate mango seed � without the hush seed cover or with it. While searching for a method to germinate polyembryonic seed, I ran into this website:
http://produsola.com/what-we-do_mango-propagation.html

As see here, the poly seeds are planted in the sawdust, and after the seedlings were about 4 to 6", they were lifted out and separated to individual plants.

I�m also interested of the way they used clear plastic tape for mango grafting, using splice grafting method I think. This is the method that I had succeed in the past on other trees.

I paid close attention to the nursery environment � the area was covered with green shade screens on the top and all sides. Is this to control the humidity and sun light condition for optimum mango seedling? Other photos show the workers in warm jacket, which indicates this area is not a tropical rain forest (mango natural environment). I think a lot can be learned from this nursery for growing mango outside of rain forest.

Sapote

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

Mangos aren't a rainforest plant. They're from more of a monsoonal/savanna environment. That means a distinct very dry dry season, and then the usual wet tropical wet season. That's why they normally flower during winter, the dry season. However, outside of the tropics the temperature gets to them and (if they survive) they flower/fruit spring and summer.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 3:54AM
More Discussions
Kesar Mango
Have you guys heard of Kesar Mango from India. I would...
mangobaby
Prune MIstake on Guava Tree
I thought my guava tree was dead. It had grown about...
Valdo
Passiflora "Edgehill" or "Black Knight" wanted
According to California Rare Fruit website, Passiflora...
sapote
Maridol Papaya with large fruit growing in Hayward/SF bay area.
Grows On You.com has a photo posted by "Delonix" of...
stanofh
Gac harvest
just finished my harvest of gac fruits
bitepourrie22
Sponsored Products
Indoor Area Rug: Strata Red 9' x 13'
Home Depot
Possini Euro Piazza Brushed Nickel Torchiere Floor Lamp
Euro Style Lighting
King Ironwork Duvet Cover 108" x 95" - PLATINUM (95X108)
$875.00 | Horchow
133" Red Cedar Canterbury Arbor w/Bench & 2 Wings
Fifthroom.com
Safavieh Cypress White 29.5-inch Bar Stool
Overstock.com
Furniture of America Hampton Desk and Chair - IDF-DK6093 2PC
$369.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™