What's Up With The Lilacs??

guapogardenerSeptember 2, 2006

Hi everyone! I just moved up from Florida to the Rochester area, again.

What is going on with the lilacs? Just driving through the area I'm seeing virtually every plant covered in powdery mildew.

Are there varieties of lilac that have been bred for resistance to this? I can't believe that a plant that is a classic harbinger of summer can look so dog-gone awful the rest of the year. There must be a solution to this.

Thanks for any imput!

Mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laurelin(z5a/4b Upstate NY)

I think that some varieties are more resistant than others (when you look around, you can see some with more and less of the affliction). But I haven't seen a list specifically of powdery mildew resistant varieties. I love lilacs, and have a handful. It's been a wet year up here, so the mildew is pretty bad this year. In a dry year, it's not so nasty. Sorry I can't name any truly resistant ones!

Laurel

Bookmark   September 2, 2006 at 5:14PM
hammerl(z5-6 Amherst NY)

Mine all have powdery mildew, and my big monster one is usually impervious to everything. But not this year. I'm sure some varieties are more resistant than others, but no idea which offhand. And, like I said, mine that are normally unaffected look like they're pretty bad this year.

Bookmark   September 11, 2006 at 4:40PM
lblack61(z5 NY)

I think you're seeing mildew on all the lilacs because this has been an extremely wet summer accompanied by extreme heat in July and now it seems we may have a very wet fall too.
The ground is saturated. It's been a bad year for the lilacs and my tomatoes. Fighting mildew everywhere.

Bookmark   September 21, 2006 at 11:36AM
More Discussions
Best farmers markets in Erie/Niagara?
While most of the posters and lurkers on this forum...
tomtuxman
Free Seed Swap & Giveaway Victor NY April 04 2015
Seed Exchange & Seed Giveaway April 04, 2015 10:00...
mrsdlight
crepe myrtle trees
I recently moved to northern NY and I'm trying to grow...
dixieboy8833
Favorite Nursery in Capital Region
What's your favorite and why? Where is it located? I...
GardenMomma11
Brown Recluse Spiders~WARNING!!!
Yes. They DO live in NY State. Have for quite some...
thosedarnsqurls
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™