what to plant next to

pattybwSeptember 23, 2006

Hi, new here.. from what I read so far this is a great forum. Stumbled on it while googling on canna phasion/tropicana.

We just added onto our deck to accomodate a new hot tub (being delivered in a week or so). I wanted to get the landscaping around this area done now (rather than in the spring when kids activities keep me running 24x7!). I'd like the area to have a semi-tropical/beachy feel so I purchased several types of ornamental grasses (miscanthus sarabande, verigated silver grass) and 3 canna phasions. ALso purchased rudebeckia, white swan echinacea, helenium & day lily. My question: what would work well with the cannas? Not sure where I'm going to put them yet, but planning to plant in mass for maximum effect. I've played around with the plants I've purchased so far but nothing is working :( What do you all have planted near your cannas? and/or what do you think works iwth them? In advance, Thanks! Patty (Rochester area)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laurelin(z5a/4b Upstate NY)

My cannas are in the middle of my mixed border, which includes over a dozen different daylilies, shasta daisy 'Becky,' heliopsis 'Loraine Sunshine,' blue siberian irises, white peonies, several kinds of tall and intermediate bearded irises (at the dry end of the bed, not right next to the cannas). Mixed into that are some annuals (nasturiums, portulaca, annual phlox 'Isabellina,' lobelia, and fuchsia 'Gartenmeister Bonstedt.' I had another clump of cannas planted in the middle of my annuals bed, full of zinnias, sunflowers, and amaranth - it would have looked MUCH better if the rotten woodchucks hadn't devastated it. My cannas are a no-name from my sister's house when she lived in St. Louis - very tall, bronze leaves, small orange-red flowers.

Laurel

Bookmark   September 23, 2006 at 9:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantoretire_did

Laurel - Don't you dig up your cannas in the fall? Can they be stored in an unheated garage? No cellar.

Carol

Bookmark   September 30, 2006 at 5:52AM
More Discussions
Asiatic Lilly buds gone
It happened last year and I just noticed again today....
wantoretire_did
HAVE: N. Rome: U-dig Lily of the Valley
I have a gorgeous thick patch (or two :) of Lily of...
party_music50
growing thick stocky stems on tomatoes
how do the commercial growers get their tomatoes to...
jerome69
Brown Recluse Spiders~WARNING!!!
Yes. They DO live in NY State. Have for quite some...
thosedarnsqurls
Help with Viburnum... Wentworth Cranberrybush
Hello... I'm new to this site so please bear with me....
Greeneyezz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™