Moving upstate, bringing perennials

gratefulgary(z5A NY)September 19, 2006

We're moving from the Hudson Valley, 6A, to Delhi, 5A. And at an elevation of about 2300 ft. Delhi is around 1500 ft. We'll be moving the first week in November.

We intend on digging up and taking with us several perennials, including, but not limited to, sedum autumn joy, coreopsis, cone flower, shasta daisy, gaillardia. My question is, should we put them in the ground in a temporary area for the winter? Would they survive in the buckets we bring them up in? What if we left them in the buckets in the garage so the root balls don't freeze? If they are just root balls in buckets, why not?

Anyway, we need some guidance on how to keep the plants over the winter. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gottagarden(z5 western NY)

I would put them in the ground and mulch heavily. They'll be happier than in pots. Do you heat your garage? If pots are not frozen they will still need water in winter.

There are several posts on moving plants in the cottage gardens forums. Do a search and see what others have done.

Bookmark   September 20, 2006 at 6:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kareen(z5 NY Renss.Co.)

Have you considered winter sowing from seeds you collect from these plants? Might make your initial move a lot easier and will certainly provide you with healthy plants for next year. Kareen

Bookmark   September 20, 2006 at 8:09AM
More Discussions
crepe myrtle trees
I recently moved to northern NY and I'm trying to grow...
dixieboy8833
Best farmers markets in Erie/Niagara?
While most of the posters and lurkers on this forum...
tomtuxman
Double Knockout Roses in Zone 5
I'm posting under Upstate New York because it would...
birchhill
ID Critter photo
Oops, need more coffee.
wantoretire_did
Hummingbirds are back! and hungry!!!
I've had my feeders out for awhile and am finally seeing...
party_music50
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™