Is it possible year round?

kyerie1(6NY)September 20, 2006

I am new to the area; I moved out from California 2 years ago.

I really like to grow my own foods, but hate this short season we have here.

Is it at all possible to grow year round in a freestanding greenhouse without spending huge amounts of money?

I want to build next spring and would like to make something that is able to produce veggies over winter.

What I am currently looking at is a mid-size freestanding shed with polycarbonate partial (s side) roof and sides. I was thinking about using a solar wall set up on the N wall and a thermal mass under (sand).

Could this set up work?

Any suggestions are appreciated, as the idea of another long no-gardening season is here and is depressing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tastefullyjulie(Lewiston, NY 6)

kyerie1
"without spending huge amounts of money"

That will be the hard part, lol.

Visit the greenhouse forum on gardenweb. They are extremely knowledgable about this stuff.

Bookmark   September 21, 2006 at 1:08PM
Aurore(Zone 4/5 NY)

Depends on what you want to grow. Greenhouses can help get a jump on the season. Using it year round could get expensive.
Do you have a large enough growing space so that you can grow alot to freeze or can to supply you throughout the winter.- potatoes- in a root cellar, canned tomato sauce, frozen green beans, canned pickles, etc..
Cold frames are good for some greens which can be harvested late into the season. One of my favorite TV shows used to be Gardening Naturally. They built plastic greenhouses over cold frames. Supposedly each layer of insulation raised the temperature to the next growing zone. So if their area was a zone four it would be a zone 7 inside the coldframe which was inside the greenhouse.

Bookmark   September 21, 2006 at 1:29PM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

If you can attach the green house to the south side of the house that may help hold the heat. I would think that you would have to intstall heat cables because you solar panels may not be able to collect enough sunlight to keep it heated. Grey winter days and snow covering the greenhouse aren't going to provide much sunshine.
Penny

Bookmark   September 23, 2006 at 9:26AM
More Discussions
Anyone Use New York State Nursery?
Anyone use the New York State Nursery? What were your...
edlincoln
I have a severe case of spring fever - you?
Seeds are almost all arrived, and this weekend I plan...
ridgetop01
Free Seed Swap & Giveaway Victor NY April 04 2015
Seed Exchange & Seed Giveaway April 04, 2015 10:00...
mrsdlight
wolves in ny state ???
Was wondering about the sightings of wolves in New...
lynnenychemung
Freeze warning
Hey Central NY! Get out there and pick the last of...
booberry85
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™