Winterizing a Screened in Porch

penny1947(z6 WNY)October 24, 2009

For those of you that grow tropicals tender perennials

If I enclosed my south facing front porch in heavy duty plastic would it stay warm enough for most of the winter to keep most of my mature tender plants out there. I had to bring them in so early this year and still have several that need to come in before the snow flies but don't know where I will put them.

I have two Hamelia patens, a Cuphea ignea, Cuphea micropetala, 10 Cuphea schumaniis, 2 Calliandras, 2 shrimp plants, 4 Salvia guaraniticas, 6 baby hesperaloe parvifloras, 2 cape honeysuckles, 4 Pentas and 2 Russelias along with about a dozen cuttings that I started a few weeks ago. I really need a heated greenhouse but that isn't going to happen considering it took 4 years for my DH to finally build the deck out back.

Penny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerome69(6)

if a 4x8 section would be enough you can have your husband build you a temp. plastic encloser. you should have a piece of styrofoam on the bottom to prevent the cold from below.a few 60-75 watt light bulb on a timer for overnight. i have a permanent setup on wheels and it works super.i keep mine outside and it is cool to see snow sitting on top and look inside to see the plants snug as a bug.

Bookmark   October 25, 2009 at 7:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penny1947(z6 WNY)

Hi Jerome,
Thanks for that info. I actually have two 'plant racks'. One is a 3 shelf mini green house with a clear cover but the plastic isn't that heavy and another that was a metal 5 shelf cart on wheels that I recycled from a conveneince sotre. That one has no cover as it was used to display Gal. jugs of tea but would be easy to make a heavy duty cover. My porch usually stays a little warmer than the temps outside the porch as it is recessed besides having a southern exposer. Right now I do have a few plants out there that are still blooming well in spite of the recent hard frost. I had not thought of putting the foam on the floor beneath the plants but that is an excellent idea. I think with a few adjustments I may be able to make this work at least for some of the plants.

Thanks again.
Penny

Bookmark   October 25, 2009 at 9:19AM
More Discussions
Brown Recluse Spiders~WARNING!!!
Yes. They DO live in NY State. Have for quite some...
thosedarnsqurls
Help with Viburnum... Wentworth Cranberrybush
Hello... I'm new to this site so please bear with me....
Greeneyezz
Favorite Nursery in Capital Region
What's your favorite and why? Where is it located? I...
GardenMomma11
HAVE: N. Rome: U-dig Lily of the Valley
I have a gorgeous thick patch (or two :) of Lily of...
party_music50
What do you do to keep the deer from nibbling your plants?
A gal in our garden club has had a horrible time with...
jean_mdc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™