Red Malaysian Guava Tree

goyo626 S.Cal.8b/SZ20August 10, 2012

I love guavas and was thinking of getting one of these since I have other types of guavas. Does anyone have any information on growth habit and more importantly the taste of the red Malaysian guava?

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jfernandez(10B)

Yes. A vigorous upright tree, it fruits very quickly here in Socal. I'll take pics of mine soon.

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 10:05PM
goyo626 S.Cal.8b/SZ20

How would you rate the taste of this guava? What are the prominent flavors? Thank you for your response and I eagerly await the pics of your tree and hopefully some of the fruit :).

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 11:22PM
pawpawnian

I'm wondering where I could get this Malaysian Red? This is (with my big astonishment) the only plant I didn't find after almost half year effort!
No one would sell it, shipping to Europa, much less chance.
Is there any plausible explanation for that? Those small root cuttings or scions cannot make any difficulties to ship.
I really appreciate when someone gives me info.

Thanks

Bookmark   November 24, 2014 at 1:50PM
stanofh

They need a hot summer to taste good. My one try had onion flavored fruits- or worse. The 2007 freeze offed it and another two blocks away.
I have to ask a ex Haywardian how his came out when he lived here. He's now in San Diego.

Bookmark   November 26, 2014 at 7:49PM
pawpawnian

@ stanofh: how hot must be the summer for guava? I live in USDA 8a. Is it too cold?
thans

Bookmark   November 30, 2014 at 11:17AM
stanofh

If your 8a central valley- you have the heat come to think of it. What you don't have are frost free winters. They will not take much below freezing. If you protect them they will be more cold resistant as the years go by.

Bookmark   December 4, 2014 at 1:22PM
pawpawnian

how fast, that's the question. "they will be more cold resistant as the years go by." Pawpaw (asimina Triloba) needed a couple of hundred years to adapt cold hardness, I guess.
This is an interesting question by which species and how fast those climate adaptations happen.. thanks for info.

Bookmark   December 5, 2014 at 7:24AM
clavius1

I was surprised to find many varieties of guava at the Home Depot in Escondido today. They have Red Malaysian, Mexican Cream, Tropic Pink, Tropic White, and White Indian.

Bookmark   January 2, 2015 at 10:22AM
greenman62

Mexican Cream is tasty, i have one.
its not hard, the flesh is soft,
and it is not to acid, its great right off the tree.

i had an asian red a while back. it was so acid, it almost burned my mouth. i had to stop eating it.
the flesh was also mealy, almost gritty.
maybe it was a sub-par variety. it was a big tree probably planted 20+ years ago.

Bookmark   January 3, 2015 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
soursop tree
Hello, we have some young soursop trees and they have...
cee8
Rehabilitated Mango
Hello; this is a mango that has been in our yard for...
BahamaDan ZTropic
Why Doesn't My Sapodilla Ripen?
My sapodilla tree has had a good crop of fist-sized...
billbrandi
Need help/advice on dwarf tropical trees
Hello everyone! So I live in WI and am trying to pull...
sjpickart
Lychee Mauritius finally blooming ....
My 10-year old Lychee Mauritius is finally in bloom....
bananafan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™