Does Wire Trellis Burn Plant?

yakkwak(8A)April 12, 2013

Have a container Husky Cherry tomato. A few questions here. Just made a circular trellis out of three bamboo stakes and floral wire. Didn't think to ask first if the wire could burn the plant in the heat of summer if it happens to touch. Also, will the tomatoes have a good quality if I keep them inside some months? Any idea of the longevity of a plant if overwintered indoors? Thanks in advance for opinions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

No the wire will not burn the plants but floral wire is very fine and can cut the stems if it gets really windy and they rub against it. So try to keep the wire from direct contact with the stems.

Unfortunately a tomato plant isn't a house plant. So trying to grow a tomato plant indoors is a whole other set of issues. Can it be done? Yes with extra work and attention. They require lots of supplemental light for 12-16 hours a day from special light set ups, likely will not bloom much and if they do they must be hand pollinated to develop fruit. They will not produce the same quality of fruit as when grown in their natural environment outdoors.

Dave

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 9:36PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

I grow tomatoes along a metal trellis and have also used wire cages of various types. I haven't noticed any burn from hot metal, but there is sometimes some wear damage from stems making contact with the wire -- remarkably little of it, though. I'm sure the same thing is noticed by those tying vines to wooden stakes.

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 1:20AM
yakkwak(8A)

Appreciate the answers. I have a large, sunny area inside with grow lights,etc., that run up to 18 hours/day for my plants when weather is poor. I already assist with pollination of my container citrus trees. Even though the tomato plant will likely die this winter, I'm still going to try. - can't hurt.

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 2:38PM
daninthedirt(Cent TX; USDA z8a, HZ10, Sunset z30)

I routinely grow cherry tomatoes up chicken wire trellis, in summer temperatures that are over 100F for several weeks. Never any problem. In fact, the wire intercepts very little sunlight, so it won't get any hotter than the air. The air temperature is what determines the wire temperature. Also never had any problem with the wire cutting the vines.

I believe that floral wire is of the same gauge as the lightweight chicken wire I use, so support is unlikely to be a problem. Don't try it with pumpkins, but cherries are fine.

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 3:09PM
More Discussions
Your Favorite Black / brown Tomatoes
Per title, Mine are as follows: ==CHEROKEE PURPLE (repeat) ==...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Burpee Jersey Boy and Summer Girl
I just got these seeds in the mail this past week,...
thebutcher
Even when you do everything right
Started an entire flat of various tomato seeds: sterilized...
grow_life
Big Beef Vs. Better Boy
Recently I was searching a tomato variety. Accidently...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Supermarket Tomato Plants III
Here are the 2 plants from my wifes tomato that sprouted...
garf_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™