I have a hummer that thinks its a bat

penny1947(z6 WNY)October 9, 2012

This is one of my immature hummers that has been browbeaten by a rogue hummer that showed up on on Oct 4th or 5th. The photo isn't very good as I had to take it through the screen on the front porh and I was about 5 or 6 ft. way. The bully rogue is perched on a wire that I use to stablilize the feeder in the wind. My little immature is the one hanging by his tiny feet from the feeder perch. n The rogue bully keeps knocking him off the feeder so he can use it although there is another feeder just a few feet away. When he knocks little guy off the poor little thing just dangles upside down like a bat until bully leaves then he rights himself and comes back up to the feeder. Very unusual situation. BTW, I still have 3 hummers here in Niagara County

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lori_ny(5)

That is weird to see them this late in the season! I haven't had any at my feeder for a good month now!

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 4:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penny1947(z6 WNY)

My last two immatures left on Oct. 13th. which is the latest that I have had regular birds here by about 2 weeks. I know that there are still a few north of us in Ontario so I have left a couple of feeders up just in case they come this way and need to refuel. Chances are that they will follow Lake Erie over to Ohio and up along the Maumee River or to the Ohio River until it meets up with the Mighty Mississippi.

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 6:49AM
More Discussions
wolves in ny state ???
Was wondering about the sightings of wolves in New...
lynnenychemung
Help with Viburnum... Wentworth Cranberrybush
Hello... I'm new to this site so please bear with me....
Greeneyezz
Free Seed Swap & Giveaway Victor NY April 04 2015
Seed Exchange & Seed Giveaway April 04, 2015 10:00...
mrsdlight
Time for seed catalog fun
Well, catalogs and online lists. Also time to go down...
diane_nny
Are there apples forming on your trees?
Hello, Last year I had hundreds of apples on my Granny...
lori_ny
Sponsored Products
Utopia 4-ft CL Cloud, 2 x 54W T5HO, Single Ballast, 120/277V
LBC Lighting
Darya Rugs Persian, Red, 1'10" x 9'0" Runner Rug M5645A-28240
Darya Rugs
A & L Furniture Yellow Pine 75 in. Marlboro Single Mattress Swingbed - 426-UNFIN
$673.98 | Hayneedle
Rico Espinet Buster Polished Nickel 4-Globe Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Brella Chrome One-Light Halogen Square Canopy Wall Sconce with Chalk Glass
$166.50 | Bellacor
Outdoor Fan and Light Kit: Illumine Non-Lit 52 in. Outdoor Aged Pecan Ceiling Fa
Home Depot
Newton Contemporary Sectional Sofa
| Dot & Bo
Solid Brass Cherubs Door Knocker
Signature Hardware
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™