Fall Is InThe Air!!

mulchy(z5ny)October 1, 2005

Well it looks like summer is at its end, leaves are turning and my husband is splitting wood. Sure makes me realize that it is time to get my new plants in the ground and start saving seeds for WS. I spent the week cutting back flowers that seemed like I just planted, it was a beautiful summer but it went to fast, aleast for me!!! How about you???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilacs_and_hyacinths(Buffalo)

I for one am glad this summer is over! It was much too hot for me and the humidity didn't help. Hardley much in the way of rain, either. I'm in the Buffalo metro area, things might have been different for you, hopefully.

Now that things have cooled off, I am finally spending more time in the garden. I've planted some perennials and can now get back to the much needed task of painting the exterior of my house.

Fall is always fabulous for me since I don't enjoy even moderate summers much. I get excited about the idea of doing more baking and the house smelling like cinnamon. :)

Bookmark   October 2, 2005 at 9:02PM
laurelin(z5a/4b Upstate NY)

I love the fall; it's my favorite season. I enjoy the slower pace - spring always seems like such a rush. I plant bulbs every year, dreaming of spring. I like the golden low sunlight and the vibrant colors. Even putting the garden to bed for the winter isn't a chore - it's a pleasure. And, of course, I can plant all sorts of perennials that I snapped up for a song at end-of-season sales.

Today I had a surprise - a hummingbird! I thought they had all started south by now, but this morning I had one scouring my garden for late treats - canna and fuchsia nectar. It must be a young bird, because it checked out asters, impatiens, and even coleus flowers - not your normal hummingbird fare.

Have a blessed autumn, everyone!

Laurel

Bookmark   October 3, 2005 at 9:36AM
faltered(Hamburg NY Z5/6)

Yep, fall is definitely here. I've been saving seeds for a month now. My morning glories and a few others are starting to fade and yellow, so I will be pulling my annuals out soon.

Then taking the fountain down, digging up the tender bulbs, etc.

I miss summer already.

Bookmark   October 3, 2005 at 10:28AM
booberry85(5)

I'm feeling a little said. My veggie garden is coming to an end. I wish my tomatoes had done better but everything else did very well this year. The deer have stuck to our agreement and have just recently started visiting the garden (They know not to go in it in June, July and at least the first part of August. The end of September on, its ok for them to go in. I do have a rabbit fence surrounding it, but its no challenge for the deer.) I do like the fact that fall makes you feel like cooking and canning - like a squirrel harvesting and hiding nuts. Nothing like apple dumplings and pumpkin pie!

Bookmark   October 4, 2005 at 10:43AM
booberry85(5)

I'm feeling a little sad! Pardon the typo!

Bookmark   October 4, 2005 at 2:55PM
adina72(z5 CNY)

It's not really feeling much like Fall to me. It's over 80 degrees today and most of the annuals are still doing pretty well....I feel like I am so behind on my Fall chores. I've got over 400 bulbs to plant and many have not arrived yet (maybe due to the warm temps). Most of my bulbs are going in spots where annuals are now, so I really hate to pull them out while they are still looking decent. Fall is my favorite time of year...I just hope the moderate temps last into November....that would be heavenly.

Bookmark   October 4, 2005 at 3:30PM
More Discussions
Weeds
I have recently bought my great uncles house and the...
James_Christel
Hummingbirds are back! and hungry!!!
I've had my feeders out for awhile and am finally seeing...
party_music50
crepe myrtle trees
I recently moved to northern NY and I'm trying to grow...
dixieboy8833
pink yarrow gone wild
My pink yarrow is out of control. My neighbors can...
RachaelLemmon
Free Seed Swap & Giveaway Victor NY April 04 2015
Seed Exchange & Seed Giveaway April 04, 2015 10:00...
mrsdlight
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™