reblooming iris in wny - photo

gottagarden(z5 western NY)November 24, 2005

When I lived in California they had gorgeous bearded iris that rebloomed in the fall. When I moved, I brought some with me, but they never rebloomed, probably because I kept moving them around. This year they finally did bloom, I think because we had such a long warm fall, they finally had a long enough growing season to bloom before frost. I picked this flower stalk before the last snowfall, and it's still blooming inside.

The small purple ones reliably rebloom for me, but they are not as showy. The large bearded are harder to get to rebloom in this climate.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Aurore(Zone 4/5 NY)

Very pretty. Do you know the name of the one you have pictured?

Here is a link that might be useful: my webpage

Bookmark   November 24, 2005 at 8:45AM
gottagarden(z5 western NY)

It's "Creative Stitchery". I will have some for trade after they bloom. I have a LOT of iris, they are so gorgeous. But they bloom for such a short period of time and then they just sit there the rest of the year. I'm trying to find better ways to put them in the garden. That's why reblooming iris are nice - you get TWO bloom seasons instead of just one. (Except not usually around here.)

I have lots of the small dark purple rebloomer, but it is not as showy as this one.

I did a google image search on "iris creative stitchery" andgot a better photo by someone else:

Here is a link that might be useful: creative stitchery image

Bookmark   November 26, 2005 at 7:00AM
von1(z4 NY)

I have purchased several reblooming iris and never had a second bloom yet. I guess its just to cold here.

Bookmark   November 30, 2005 at 7:19AM
adina72(z5 CNY)

I ordered some reblooming irises this summer from Brecks and am looking forward to seeing how they do next year. I read that the best way to get them to rebloom reliably is to cut off the stems immediately after flowering and then water and fertilize heavily until Fall. That's what I plan on doing and I hope it works. The varieties I bought are:

'Mother Earth'
'Ocean Pacific'
'Total Recall'
'Beverly Sils'
'Bountiful Harvest'
'Invitation'
'Lo Ho Silver'

Bookmark   December 5, 2005 at 10:55AM
More Discussions
wolves in ny state ???
Was wondering about the sightings of wolves in New...
lynnenychemung
Hummingbirds are back! and hungry!!!
I've had my feeders out for awhile and am finally seeing...
party_music50
ID Critter photo
Oops, need more coffee.
wantoretire_did
growing thick stocky stems on tomatoes
how do the commercial growers get their tomatoes to...
jerome69
Best farmers markets in Erie/Niagara?
While most of the posters and lurkers on this forum...
tomtuxman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™