wintering over agastaches

susanzone5(z5NY)November 24, 2005

I brought a beautiful pink agastache indoors for the winter and would like to know what conditions it needs to survive. It's on a west facing, cold windowsill, the only place big enough to hold it. It's in its original pot, and has 4 stems that are fairly new, each with a spent flower. I cut off the old, dead stems.

I figure Penny is the one who grows these plants (and was the inspiration for me buying this one) and would know what to do. I have to say that this plant on my deck table attracted our hummingbirds more than any other plant, and it smells delicious when I touch it. Thanks, Penny.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penny1947(z6 WNY)

hi Susan,
Agastaches need as much light as they can get inside. Also they need to stay a bit more on the dry side. If your plant is hardy, I would highly recommend putting it in the ground next spring. The one agastache that I wintered inside last year has been in the ground since April. In spite of the freezing temps and snow mine are still green at the base and forming new rosettes.

Good luck and come spring get it outside as soon as you can do so safely.

Penny

Bookmark   November 27, 2005 at 6:51PM
susanzone5(z5NY)

Thanks, Penny. It's not hardy, at least I don't think it is, since I found it inside a greenhouse with annuals needing protection in early spring. It's an apricot (name) but the exact name escapes me. It never had a rosette, just woody stems. I liked it on my deck table so I could watch the hummers up close.

Bookmark   November 28, 2005 at 7:47AM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

Susan the only two Apricot agastaches that I am familiar with are Apricot Sunrise and Apricot Sprite. The latter is a much shorther plant and that one is hardy to zone 7 although it has done well in my garden (z6a). Apricot Sunrise is hardy to zone 5-6. Both are clump forming in ground but may not form as well in a container. Most nurseries do put them with the herbs or tender perennials because they aren't as familiar with them up here in the northern states. Keep an ey on yours, It just may be hardy.

Penny

Bookmark   November 28, 2005 at 3:48PM
More Discussions
Anyone Use New York State Nursery?
Anyone use the New York State Nursery? What were your...
edlincoln
Help with Viburnum... Wentworth Cranberrybush
Hello... I'm new to this site so please bear with me....
Greeneyezz
Best farmers markets in Erie/Niagara?
While most of the posters and lurkers on this forum...
tomtuxman
Free Seed Swap & Giveaway Victor NY April 04 2015
Seed Exchange & Seed Giveaway April 04, 2015 10:00...
mrsdlight
pink yarrow gone wild
My pink yarrow is out of control. My neighbors can...
RachaelLemmon
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™