Wondering about mango tree root system

yellowthumb(5a Ontario)August 31, 2011

I got my 2nd mango tree. The first one was a twig and died in two years. This is a big and healthy one. When I repot it into 5:1:1 mix, I noticed that all the roots are kind of black. I understand not all plant roots are shiny white like Gardenia. Citrus roots tends to be brownish, but new roots are white. But this mango looks extremely healthy, dark green leaves, many of them. Doesn't look anything that has roots problem. But all its roots are kind of black, I pinched a couple of fine roots, they are not rot inside. What's going on?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ohiojay(z6 OH)

I think you came up with the answer on your own. Not all root systems have that healthy, vibrant look to them. I've repotted other species that had the same characteristics. Plant sounds like it is a good one.

Bookmark   September 2, 2011 at 10:57AM
swrancher

I have planted quite a few mango trees and the roots are generally dirt colored that said I think your tree is fine.

Bookmark   September 2, 2011 at 1:23PM
yellowthumb(5a Ontario)

Thanks guys for the kind answer.

I just find it hard to accept that roots are black or brown. Gardenia has the best looking roots, but rots so easily. I wish mango roots are stronger.

Bookmark   September 2, 2011 at 3:53PM
More Discussions
Photo of Hayward ca Papaya in the SF bay area
Proof of what I have never seen before. The owner told...
stanofh
Help with longan in pot
My longan in a pot which I put in the greenhouse about...
vanman23
Prune MIstake on Guava Tree
I thought my guava tree was dead. It had grown about...
Valdo
Passiflora "Edgehill" or "Black Knight" wanted
According to California Rare Fruit website, Passiflora...
sapote
Kesar Mango
Have you guys heard of Kesar Mango from India. I would...
mangobaby
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™