do tomatoes need to pollinate?

matthew18(5)April 17, 2010

I have a patio enclosure and I'm consodering growing at least one plant indoors(experiment) If I keep the plant indoors entirely will it produce fruit or do I need to put it outside to pollinate?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wordwiz

Tomatoes do not have to have birds and bees to create fruit. But it does help to shake the plant once blooms start to appear. You only need one plant. As far as will it produce fruit (that grows to an edible stage) - that will depend on your lighting and nuits.

YMMV,

Mike

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 9:31PM
organicislandfarmer(9)

definately agree with Mike, I have plants outside and see no evidence of natural pollinators like bees ever. Yet I have tomatoes growing. I do gently tap the blossom stems daily mostly like a superstition and we have good breezes here. I am excited, the count is up to like 20 tomatoes going strong. My patio type tomato plant is leading the way!

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 11:04PM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

I do gently tap the blossom stems daily mostly like a superstition

LOL, I spank mine too!

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 1:16AM
Bets(z6A S ID)

Yes, in general tomatoes do need to be pollinated, but they are "perfect" blossoms and will self-pollinate so they don't need another tomato plant or any insects to pollinate them. The stigma in inside the anther cone where the pollen is.

There are some tomatoes that do not require pollination. They are parthenocarpic and will make fruit with little or no seeds. Dr. James Baggett of OSU developed several parthenocarpic varieties that will set tomatoes in cool weather. "Legend," "Siletz," and "Oregon Spring" are three of the ones he developed.

The FAQ page has an article on preventing cross-pollenization, but it is also good information on how tomatoes are pollinated.

Bets

Here is a link that might be useful: How Do I Prevent Tomatoes from Cross-pollinating?

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 1:32AM
matthew18(5)

thanks all. To get max sun I will have this potted tomatoe plant outside as much as possible. I'm also hoping to extend the season as long as possible by bringing it back in(patio enclosure)during the fall. There will be plenty of ouside exposure.

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 8:22AM
More Discussions
Are You Germinating Yet ?
Now that you've got all the seeds and have decided...
seysonn
Big Boo-Boo! On Red Robins
I started some Red Robins a while back, or I thought...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
Is it worth planting, Azoychka Russian?
I ordered seeds last year and the seller included a...
nhardy
How soon would you fertilize after grafting tomatoes?
I grafted on Saturday February 21st. The tomatoes are...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™