So. Cal. Tropical fruits garden

grandwater101(9)August 23, 2013

This season is productive. Longan and cherimoya are bearing many fruits. Mando tree though small have a few fruits too. I hope my pictures encourage one to start gardening.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grandwater101(9)

Cherimoya

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 10:17PM
grandwater101(9)

Mangos

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 10:18PM
grandwater101(9)

Grafted cherimoya

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 10:20PM
Dexter_FTG

Lookin good so far!

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 10:37AM
mangodog(palm springs 9B)

Nice job Grandwater! Where in Socal do you live???

Love the mangoes - what kind are they?

mangopooch

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 8:37PM
grandwater101(9)

I live in Walnut. The weather is good but I think Santa Ana has better weather. I have seen very heathy tropical plants there.

My mango is an Indian mango. It is three feet tall.

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 1:31PM
soaht(Central CA 9B)

Grandwater,

You're in zone A or B? How big is your longan and cherimoya and do they need protection and do they suffer from yearly winter frost some nights? I'm in Fresno 9b, have both of those tree, just wanted to make sure they will be ok in the winter. And are you inland or coastal?Thanks for your reply.

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 7:34PM
grandwater101(9)

I am not far from the beach , 30 minutes drive. My area is a zone 9. The longans get about 1inch diameter and cherimoyas get to about 1-1.5 lb.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 5:02AM
soaht(Central CA 9B)

You're not too far from the coast, I see. I guess you don't have frost very often, if ever, but thanks for replying. I'll just have to give a little protection, until the tree get mature enough, to protect it self.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 12:09PM
stanofh

His zone is most likely a zone 10b usda and a Sunset zone 22 or 23.
I have a 3' Mango in the bay area and its about 73f right now as I type...about 90f in Walnut Ca. And why my work is cut out for me with heat lovers lol.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 4:03PM
soaht(Central CA 9B)

Stan,
Thanks for your input, I wouldn't have to worry about any heat problem here in the Central Valley of Fresno. I'll just have to worry about the occasional frost a few nights, in the winters down here. Remember the heat wave last month? Well, it was way over 100F for most of the July month. We had the highest temps reach close to 120F, it was 117F(but, this year isn't a normal summer year, it's usually only reach 104F a few times in the regular summers). So no heat problems for any heat loving plants. Now, it has return to normal in the med-high 90's. But, every year, it seems to get warmer down here in Fresno, during the winter, last year it was only ever below 35F once, which was in Jan, a low of 28F. The yearly average low is usually in the high 30's.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 7:08PM
grandwater101(9)

The season is not over yet for grafting. I am going to combine three types of cherimoya. I will show its picture in 3-4 weeks.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 3:42AM
grandwater101(9)

Please share a picture of you fruit tree

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 11:39PM
stanofh

Mango's love heat...and warm nights. I notice flowering can start in quite cool weather- early spring,as early as February. But the growth doesn't really kick in until June. At least a first flush,the second around the end of July,early August second flush. And maybe a third in the bay area around October. Mango's that have fruited are pretty weak the next year here. They need a rest. Its important to protect them the winter after a fruiting. In the soucal deserts..different rules might be invoked.
So far the largest Mango in the bay area that has fruited in ground has been around 10-12'. They don't outgrow a yard. Ever.

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 9:36PM
More Discussions
White Sapote in a container?
Hi, Is it possible for a white Sapote in a container...
fleabernal1983
What would be the best fruits to grow in a mini jungle
Hi, I'm working on a small jungle area, and at...
giantgunnera
The Freeze in Central Florida!
The most top branches, the last 3 inches or so suffered...
seagel
Rehabilitated Mango
Hello; this is a mango that has been in our yard for...
BahamaDan ZTropic
Sick Passionfruit Leaves
Hi Any clue about this leaves disorder? It looks like...
jalilu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™