Planter tomato suggestions, please?

missemerald(7 (Virginia))April 7, 2012

I have one of those upside down planters (not the plastic bag kind) and want to plant tomatoes in it this year. This is in addition to the ones that I will have in the garden. Anyway, I have had varying degrees of success the last two years. Two years ago, the plants died. Last year, the plants that I bought that were labeled "Patio" weren't and got too leggy for the planter. Does anyone have a suggestion of what kind of tomatoes that I can put in this upside down planter on my deck? It will hold 4 plants. THANKS!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Honestly the problem is the planter, not the tomato variety. It is an idea that just doesn't work. Would you consider using it for some nice flowers instead?

If not, try one of the dwarf varieties like New Big Dwarf.

Dave

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 10:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missemerald(7 (Virginia))

Dave, I have thought of using the planter for flowers or whatever but I guess I'm just stubborn. I just keep hoping to find some veggie that works in the durned thing... "Patio" sure didn't. (That's also why most of my tomatoes are in the garden, cause if they were only on the deck I wouldn't get many!) My youngest loves to see the tomatoes growing on the deck too, so I'll keep trying... thanks!

Marcy

Bookmark   April 8, 2012 at 5:54PM
More Discussions
Supermarket Tomato Plants III
Here are the 2 plants from my wifes tomato that sprouted...
garf_gw
which tomato seeds to get?
Live in zone 9b (about 60 miles North of Galveston...
new-beginning
topping off tomato plants?
My heirloom tomato plants are usually tall and robust...
blaferby
Even when you do everything right
Started an entire flat of various tomato seeds: sterilized...
grow_life
Is any one growing Delicious?
Is any one growing Delicious?
gridgardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™