Leggy looking plants

Danielnc84(7b)April 10, 2013

Okay I ordered some Big Zak Tomatoes on Ebay and I received a light green lacking light tall lanky plants besides planting deep what can i do to correct this issue any supplements give a low dose of fert to perk them up or what?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Yes, very low dose. 1/4 strength maximum.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 10:18PM
gumby_ct(CT it says Z5)

When plants get leggy they are reaching for light. It is a sign they are not getting enuff light. IF using artificial light move the plants closer to the light or visa versa. Sometimes as close as an inch or two between the light source and the plant.

Be careful when hardening these plants off.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 10:27PM
Danielnc84(7b)

ill water them with a really weak solution of Calcium Nitrate and put them in the ground we are supposed to have some rain over the next two days so hopefully i dont over do it! I wont be putting my hand full of 10-10-10 inthe bottom of the whole either it will just be compost

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 11:32PM
gumby_ct(CT it says Z5)

Let us know how that works. How many plants do you have?

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 9:14AM
Danielnc84(7b)

I got 3 leggy big zaks and 1 mystery thats a smaller mater that has been grown by an old woman for the past 30 years. a cross from many years ago... just curious as to how it will taste! They are all planted and i planted them with a very small amount of 10-10-10 and a low dose of Calcium Nitrate. I hope this causes a vigorous growth without burning them since they have not been around any sort of fert. before... I cut off most of the sets of leaves and panted the vine deep very deep only about 3 inches of the fine remains.. Lets start on that 3 or 4 lb mater this year from some ugly leggy looking zaks!

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 10:26AM
gumby_ct(CT it says Z5)

You haven't mentioned if these plants have been hardened off yet? Where on this fine planet are you located?

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 2:06PM
Danielnc84(7b)

Piedmont of NC! no more frost to worry about they got about a day and half out in the sun in their planting pots and got watered every morning... I think they will be just fine now!

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 7:46PM
gumby_ct(CT it says Z5)

Certainly it is your call.

I know when I started gardening and didn't know about hardening plants off I would buy plants from stores, plant them, then wonder why they soon died. I assumed the plants had been exposed to the sun while in the nursery,

btw - Piedmont only means something to someone from NC.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 7:55PM
Danielnc84(7b)

between Charlotte and Winston Salem... These things were leggy and leaves were kinda pale greenish color they have darkened two shades. i dont think these plants have been exposed to any Ferts and were probably grown indoors with a cheap light. I cut off a set of leaves and burried it 8 inches up on the stem. they have seen sun for the 2nd day now. they are also going to get a good rain tonight.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 11:48PM
More Discussions
What are you growing for 2015?
Hi all! I'm a fairly new gardener (this will be my...
sarcastichousewife
Cost per tomato?
I'm not going to even guess. I'm going to order 8...
lucillle
I need a high yield, good tasting indeterminate tomato.
I have a short growing season, and will grow them in...
shijitake
Container cages
I need some design tips for putting a remesh cage on...
PupillaCharites
Why Black Krim Tomatoes grow like that.
Started seedlings of Black Krim Tomato in Asia last...
mmm100
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™