Great places to live in upstate New York

cloudshillfarmDecember 27, 2009

Good morning everyone~

We are looking to move to upstate New York. I was reading some posts and noticed that someone mentioned Sharon Springs. We are planning on looking at a house there as well as in the St. Johnsville area. Could you tell me alittle about those areas? How are the schools and the people? Is there alot of farmland? I know that Sharon Springs was once famous for it's sulphur baths. Should that be a concern? Thanks so much for any input you can give. Happy Holidays! vanessa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
herbalbetty

I live in Huntersland, which is on the eastern side of Schoharie County (same county as Sharon Springs). Sharon Springs does have a sulphur smell to it often. But, that's right in the village, near the baths. This quaint small town is really enjoying a revival. Another town within the county that you might consider is Middleburgh. If you have specific questions, please private email me and I'll be glad to help.

Bookmark   December 27, 2009 at 4:56PM
cnslr81

What part of upstate NY are you looking into? Technically, upstate NY is huge as it is basically the entire state sans NYC and Long Island.

Bookmark   January 9, 2010 at 1:57PM
cloudshillfarm

Hello,
thanks for the responses. I just figured out how to get back on this website. When it comes to "upstate New York" we are looking all over from ulster county, the adirondacks, the finger lakes region, leather stocking region and anywhere else that we find someone we like. We visited Sharon Springs recently and we really liked the area. Very quiant town. Does anyone have any info on the Sharon Springs Central School district? I have a 12 year old that would be attending that school. thanks sooooo much and have a great weekend!! Vanessa

Bookmark   January 17, 2010 at 12:50PM
herbalbetty

Vanessa, go to the link here and it will take you to the Schoharie County Chamber of Commerce (this is the county Sharon Springs is in). You can get lots of info here. Also, Jodi, the director of the chamber, is very friendly and can mail you info as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Schoharie County Chamber of Commerce

Bookmark   January 18, 2010 at 6:21AM
booberry85(5)

I've lived in Skaneateles, NY for 10 years now. It's a beautiful place to be. Skaneateles is the cleanest lake in NYS and the third cleanest in the US. Skaneateles is Iroquios for Long Lake. They have a great school system. The population is about 15,000 in summer and 10,000 the rest of the year. We're close to Syracuse. We're centrally located, so its not far to Pennsylvania, Canada, Vermont or Massachusetts. Just my shameless plug for the hometown! :)

Bookmark   January 18, 2010 at 9:07PM
ecowise

I do love Schoharie county though I live on the western edge of Greene County. Maybe look into Greene county. It's nicely situated 2.5 hrs from NYC and we have the Hudson river and the Catskill mountains. There's also great cultural things that are starting to arise. Property values are still realistic. Best of luck ;-)

Bookmark   January 23, 2010 at 9:50PM
jklamm_gmail_com

My wife and I were looking in Upstate New York, near Sharon Springs, and even found a wonderful place in my hometown of Oneonta (Otsego County). If you want to live in a warm, friendly place with lots of wonderful people, it's the place to go. Unfortunately for me, my job in Nevada chose instead to move me to Seattle, of all places! So, after I found my cute little dream house, I had to give it up. It's still on the market, too.

http://www.exitta.com/real-estate/Otsego-Delaware-MLS/Residential/property/75265-3794-State-Highway-23-Oneonta-NY-13820/

Happy hunting!

- Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Oneonta dream house

Bookmark   August 2, 2010 at 7:26PM
More Discussions
ID this Critter?
These are showing up on my Joe Pye Weed in the early...
wantoretire_did
Help with ID this plant
We visited Rockport Maine in September and noticed...
p.polyxenes
Best farmers markets in Erie/Niagara?
While most of the posters and lurkers on this forum...
tomtuxman
Need help - what will be in bloom mid-June?
I am hosting a garden tour for our local garden club...
ridgetop01
brugmansia
I absolutely love the looks of these trumpet plants,...
younggreenthumb47
Sponsored Products
Outline Lite Vertical Swing Hooks - Seven Hooks - Polished Stainless Steel
Signature Hardware
White Fan Wall Control with Reverse
$128.00 | Bellacor
Lucy Runner 2'6" x 8' - IVORY
$599.00 | Horchow
Area Rug: Presidential Picks Gilreath Ivory 3' 6" x 5' 6"
Home Depot
Black Five-tier 2-piece Leaning Ladder Shelf Set
Overstock.com