Sugar apple or Cherimoya for container

yellowthumb(5a Ontario)August 2, 2011

I am debating that I should get a sugar apple or Cherimoya for container planting. Sugar apple seems to be more compact and easier to fruit. But Cherimoya is a bit tastier than sugar apple. Have any of you have a Cherimoya in container? How compact they could be? Are they fruiting well? The Cherimoya I am about to get is probably seed grown and 3 feet tall with 6 branches. Do I have to wait long to get any fruits?

Thanks for any kind help.

YT

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ohiojay(z6 OH)

YT...I have both in containers right now. The SA will be by far the easiest to maintain. I agree that the cherimoya fruit has some benefits over the SA. My cherimoya is currently in a huge container. I believe good pruning practices will keep it maintained for a good while. If it continues to do well...I may plant this one directly into the ground. I have 3 varieties grafted onto this plant and if I remember correctly, I've only gotten fruit from the seedling parts...which turns out to be a keeper as well. So far, it has been slow to produce a large amount of blooms at the same time so to give me a chance at pollinating. This season, there was not enough blooms coming on at the same time to even make an attempt.

One thing I will mention is that so far...the cherimoya has proven the best at resisting pests and disease. My SA has struggled over the years.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 6:01AM
yellowthumb(5a Ontario)

Hi Ohiojay,
Thanks as always.

How old is your seed grown cherimoya tree? Could you be kind to post a picture? The tree I am about to get is 3 feet tall with 6 branches. I think it's probably 3 years old or two. Don't know how long I have to wait to just see a bloom.
YT

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 12:42PM
wizzard419

If you're trying to get it to fruit it needs to get to about, from what I've been told, 8 feet tall or so.

I was also told that if you want it for fruit you may want to just plant it in the ground, but I would imagine a huge container would also work.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 2:49PM
milque_toast

[i]"If you're trying to get it to fruit it needs to get to about, from what I've been told, 8 feet tall or so."[\i]

One of my Cherimoya's is about 20yrs old, and it still did not reach 8ft height(I don't let it) but it fruits just fine.

Last November I've planted a new tree, just a whip it was. Cut the tip off this spring and it produced three branches and two flowers. Pulled the blooms off. Couple of weeks later it produced another bloom, which I pollinated. Now I have a little Cherimoya hanging on this young tree.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 5:08PM
wizzard419

I wonder why mine will get the fruit but it's like they stop growing after they get to the size of a cherimoya seed.

I'm not surprised that it doesn't need a huge height but I know it does need a decent mass behind it to support fruit.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 6:48PM
jun_(8b-9a)

I have a skinny 3 year old seedling sugar apple, about 4 ft tall. It flowered for the first time this year and now has 4 fruit, largest is 2" in diameter so far. I can't wait til it's ripe to try it. It's in a 16" pot.

Bookmark   August 4, 2011 at 11:21PM
More Discussions
Cool climate Mango flowering.
Notice the flower structure seems very compact? Rootstalk...
stanofh
Papaya wasp help
I'm on the Fla Treasure Coast and my papaya tree /...
tcgardener
Passiflora "Edgehill" or "Black Knight" wanted
According to California Rare Fruit website, Passiflora...
sapote
emperor lychee arrived, white new leaves???
I just got my emperor lychee today from plant o gram....
Jesse Machuca-Vega
What would be the best fruits to grow in a mini jungle
Hi, I'm working on a small jungle area, and at...
giantgunnera
Sponsored Products
Raine Leather Loveseat - Brighton Black Black
Joybird Furniture
Fiam | Magique Totem Cubes
YLiving.com
Area Rug: Larvik Papyrus 5' x 8'
Home Depot
Beer Foamer by Menu
$29.95 | Lumens
Tiffany-style Double Lite Table Lamp
Overstock.com