The end of the Mango Season :(

bradfloridaSeptember 11, 2011

I just made one final trip to Pine Island (the only commercial mango growing area I know of in Southwest Florida) to buy mangoes.

There was just one last holdout place that was still selling Keitts. They informed me that this was probably going to be their last weekend selling the mangoes, as there were not that many left on the trees at this point.

Each time I go to Pine Island, I seem to learn something else about mangoes.

I learned a more reliable way to judge a mango's ripeness: it is ready when the top shoulders are soft, as this is the last part to soften. I had been having a hard time with knowing exactly when a mango was at its optimal ripeness, especially with the larger (4lb) Keitts, as I would often cut them too early.

I also learned that you can tell when a mango is ready to be picked from the tree when the stem leading to the mango goes from green to brown, because at this point the mango is no longer receiving nutrients/sugar from the tree.

Harry - when are your Neelums typically ready? Is that the last holdout for you this year? Sick of mangoes yet?!

Brad

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bsbullie

Mango season has been long done On the East coast of Florida. Yes, we should normally still have mangoes available through September but not this year. This year has been a very abnormal year for almost all tropical fruit. the winter and "spring" weather through a major wrench into into the normal production times of the fruit. Many types ripened much earlier than normal and a much sorter season than normal. Every variety seemed to ripen all at once. Neelums should be around in the month of September as a few other of the mate varieties but sadly not this year.

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 9:16AM
hmhausman(FL 10B)

Neelum, usually the last mango cultivar to hold fruit at my house, usually bears in August through September. The problem with it (and all late season fruits) is that they are decimated by birds and therefore, if they are not picked by early September, they are totally destroyed by the birds. This year, oddly enough, aside from Keitt and Neelum, the usual late fruiters, I have a very late crop of Pettigrew mangoes. This is an older cultivar that I picked up years ago from somewhere. It actually still has fruits on the tree while the others mentioned have all finished.

Harry

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 10:01AM
bradflorida

It seems like the Keitt mangoes that I was getting on Pine Island got sweeter at the end of their picking season. Makes sense I guess, as more sugar had time to get into the mangoes from the tree...

Just made one of my last Keitt smoothies. It was REALLY good!

Brad

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 1:55AM
squam256

Harry, how are your Pettigrews this year?

Have always heard good things about the Pettigrew though I have yet to try it.

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 2:22AM
More Discussions
Old problem with Miracle fruit plants
Hi everyone here! I've been trying to grow miracle...
swfx
The Freeze in Central Florida!
The most top branches, the last 3 inches or so suffered...
seagel
Lychee like grapes
I just sat down reading some of the forum posts with...
zone10aridgardener
What would be the best fruits to grow in a mini jungle
Hi, I'm working on a small jungle area, and at...
giantgunnera
Sick Passionfruit Leaves
Hi Any clue about this leaves disorder? It looks like...
jalilu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™