"Binary Annonas"

gnappiSeptember 18, 2012

You all know that annonas grow fan like spread wide with little or no branching on two sides.

Well... I have a nice geffner about 10' tall, and a sugar apple about the same height. Both are bearing fruit for the first time this year.

I have an idea that I would like to plant them next to one another so that the branches cross each other in an X like fashion and let them mature this way. Has anyone ever tried this with Anonnas?

At my house the PO planted two avocado trees within inches of one another and before I cut them down most of the way they were very attractive AND fruitful!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Doglips(8b/9a)

Here is an interesting video on controlling branching direction when pruning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL3N5kf_Muc

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 5:45PM
vinceSFL

Hi gnappi!

Due to a lack of space, I do high density gardening. I often space may young trees within just a few feet of each other. So far, they seem to be doing fine. I just have to give them plenty of food and prep their planting holes well so they get a good start. I figure that with tropical fruit trees, most of the come from crowded rainforests so it makes logistical sense to me. All my trees are growing very well. We will see.

Vince

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 12:37AM
gnappi

"I figure that with tropical fruit trees, most of the come from crowded rainforests so it makes logistical sense to me. All my trees are growing very well. We will see. "

I couldn't agree more. This is EXACTLY my logic in planting my yard. Even if fruit production is a bit inhibited I want a variety of fruit not so much quantity. Since my original post I have planted them within 2 feet of each other and they are thriving. They also have delayed bloom seasons. The Geffner already has little fruits on it, and the sugar apple won't for another few week.

BTW, I have three lavender plants under them to keep ants off the trees... this is a VERY EFFECTIVE method of controlling ants on trees

Anyway... someday soon I'll have a "fruit canopy" over my head :-) They're hard to see in the pic.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 9:30AM
More Discussions
Prune MIstake on Guava Tree
I thought my guava tree was dead. It had grown about...
Valdo
How to protect your tropical fruit trees from freezing?
Here in 9b fl, we're expecting some hours of freezing...
bananafan2
Fertilzing with Alfalfa Pellets
Hi I would like to fertilize my young mangos with alfalfa...
jalilu
Edible Banana for Zone 9
Question- What edible banana (Musa) will work best...
Man-Go-Bananas
Passiflora "Edgehill" or "Black Knight" wanted
According to California Rare Fruit website, Passiflora...
sapote
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™