Newbie wants to hire someone local for gardening advice

picturewingMarch 13, 2008

OK, so my history is this: outdoor gardening: zilch. Indoor plant growing, including cacti, succulents, and orchids: about 7 years.

Last year we bought a house in Holladay. It has an ivy-overgrown garden with other stuff (like what looks like tulip or daffodil plants) trying desperately to poke their way out of thematted mess of ivy. There's some more plants that look like they were planted in there on purpose, and some others that look like the birds brought them in (they look like big weeds to me) or big gardening mistakes. However, I'm too much of a novice to be able to tell what's what. I'm also worried about the rocks in the rock garden: several large ones appear loose and several others have been uncovered by my frantic efforts to get rid of the ivy look like they might also be dislodged by erosion over time.

I think I need professional help. Is there any local (local to SLC or Cottonwood Height, Murray/Holladay) Master Gardener whom I could hire to walk around the garden with me and help identify plants, weeds, good stuff to have, bad stuff, good plants in wrong places, how to maintain what I've already got (plants and rocks and soil) and how to improve the situation? How much would such a service cost, in general? (I have never heard of anything like this done...)

I would be happy under other circumstances to learn by reading, trial, and error, but right now there are two members of my family under the age of three who need constant attention and I think some guidance regarding the rock stabilization at least is necessary to ensure their safety, if nothing else.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stevation(z5a Utah)

I think a first step might be to call the Salt Lake County Extension office of USU. They have master gardeners who volunteer time to help people with garden questions. The link below will take you to their website, and it has a phone number for calling a master gardener. I don't know if they'll actually come out to your house or if they just help on the phone.

A friend of mine in Utah County needed some help with a little modification of their landscape design as well as advice on how to make some of their trees and shrubs more healthy. They got a professional to come look at it, and they got his name from the Utah County USU Extension. I don't remember what his costs were. But the Salt Lake Extension might be able to refer you to someone if they can't provide onsite help from a volunteer.

On the rocks, you might need a landscape contractor come look at them. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Salt Lake County USU Extension

    Bookmark   March 13, 2008 at 10:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bindersbee(6a UT)

I do consults for a landscape design + build firm based in Holladay. A Master Gardener would be less expensive than me though so you may want to look that direction first if your questions are simple and more about cultivation of the existing rather than improving or designing the landscape. Otherwise, I'd be happy to help.

    Bookmark   March 14, 2008 at 12:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
songbirdmommy(UT 5)

Hi Karen!
I do not know if you found anyone to help you yet....
I am a Master Gardener and I have help lots of people with there questions and landscaping advise. Would love to help you! :-)

    Bookmark   March 18, 2008 at 2:44PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Extremely large ensete bananas in Cache Valley
Ensete bananas thriving outdoors in Cache Valley.
Poppy Changing Color
I planted orange poppies about 18 years ago. They moved...
Persimmon growers?
I have free for the taking an American persimmon seedling...
Using secondary water
I moved into our house an removed the gigantic vegetable...
Anyone growing Goji berry (Lycium barbarum)
Hi: Trying to find people who actually grow this fruit....
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™