How Do You NOT Kill Tropical Trees?

gardenathome(9B/10)September 12, 2010

Hi, Guys! Thanks sooo much again for everyone's help with letting us know how we can protect our trees from the strong winds here. We managed to get something up, but it needs some improvising for the real Santa Ana winds. :-)

In the meantime, we were doing more reading up on the forum and was surprised to know that many members have said they had killed mango trees, lychees, avocados, etc. We're curious to know how... Aside from over-watering, over-fertilizing, what are the other common issues that you could make us aware of? :-)

Many thanks!!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nullzero(9)

I would say transplant shock is one of the leading causes for killing my plants. I lost a avocado about a month or so ago because of this. Transplant shock can lead to a variety of problems like over watering (due to the plant not taking up water). Also fertilizer burn can be a killer on the more tender plants that don't like as much fertilizer.

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 4:19PM
iammarcus(6)

I inadvertently killed a banana, a pineapple 8 manderine orange trees and 5 pawpaw trees with too strong a solution of liquid fertilizer. The loss of the orange trees set my program back about 3 years.
Dan

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 6:32PM
andrew78(6)

I learned the importance of having a good soil mix for my potted trees but I would say that it would be an issue for even growing in the ground. I have lost quite a few trees to this until I made my own mix this year.
Andrew

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 7:04PM
aroideana(Tropical Australia)

Grow them in a real tropical area .

Bookmark   September 15, 2010 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
White Sapote in a container?
Hi, Is it possible for a white Sapote in a container...
fleabernal1983
Avocado leaves dying
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
The Freeze in Central Florida!
The most top branches, the last 3 inches or so suffered...
seagel
Lychee like grapes
I just sat down reading some of the forum posts with...
zone10aridgardener
How to protect your tropical fruit trees from freezing?
Here in 9b fl, we're expecting some hours of freezing...
bananafan2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™