Lupines

katzpurApril 11, 2010

I would like information on planting Lupines in the Salt Lake City area. When can I plant, and where is the best place to buy quality plants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abq_bob(USDA 5a/SS 2A)

I've never tried Lupine before, but just as a general rule for Utah, I try not to set out bedding plants until around Mother's Day weekend. Unless I know for sure they're tough and can take a little snow (like pansies, peas, etc). In my old Zone7 garden it used to be Tax Day, but not up here in "The Great White North" known as Utah. :D

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 11:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dereks(6 Utah)

I think the best Lupines you can buy are the ones you start yourself. Check out the winter sowing forum to learn how to start seeds outdoors. I started Lupines this way and had tons of them. They flower the second year. The sad thing is is that Lupines are not reliable to come back year after year. Put yours in an area that can get afternoon shade. That may help. You could also start seeds each year and you will always have them.

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
Tree browser
Just thought I'd send this great link from USU extension...
Kari Olar
Blackberries
I am a newbie gardener who planted some blackberries...
CurlyQZ
Should I steer clear of these "fast-growing" shade trees?
I just planted the following fast-growing shade trees...
timsondrup
2015 Season, what are your goals?
I'm hoping to assist my sister with her new yard, which...
abq_bob
Himalayan Blackberry
Hi all, I recently moved to South Jordan. I purchased...
snerrskin
Sponsored Products
Linon Claire Echo Gatsby Lupine Grey Fabric Ottoman Bench
Overstock.com
Lupine Inc Adjustable Tail Feathers Cat Collar - 1/2 in. x 8 - 12 in. Multicolor
$25.99 | Hayneedle
Lupine Inc Adjustable Puppy Love Design Safety Cat Collar - 1/2 in. x 8 - 12 in.
$25.99 | Hayneedle
Lupine Inc Adjustable Black Safety Cat Collar with Bell - 1/2 in. x 8 - 12 in. -
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Lupine Inc Adjustable Black Safety Cat Collar - 1/2 in. x 8 - 12 in. - 0865-5326
$23.99 | Hayneedle
Lupine Inc Adjustable Candy Apple Cat Collar - 1/2 in. x 8 - 12 in. - 0865-1390
$26.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™