Installing sprinkler shut off valve below frostline

TubalApril 17, 2012

Hi all.

I'm attempting to put in a sprinkler system in Northern Utah where the frost line is approx. 36" below ground.

The house is around 30 years old, and at one time, there was another sprinkler system in place by the previous owner, but it has long since eroded so I'm basically starting from scratch.

The water main comes in to the house and is buried about 36" below ground. The old owner had his sprinkler system tied into this main about a foot back from the house, and all that was remaining was a plugged 3/4" tee. So that is my water source.

I've dug down to the tee, and actually attached some pvc to run up to ground level with a ball valve as my sprinkler shutoff valve, and that's where I'm at now.

I'm thinking that this isn't going to work, because it will freeze and break. Am I correct in assuming that, and if so, is there a way to keep this from happening? Could I put the shutoff valve in a valve box 12" below ground, or would I need to install a valve 3' below ground? How?

Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Doglips(8b/9a)

I got so pissed off at my sprinkler system I ripped out the valves and started over. I was sick and tired of trying execute repairs in a tiny whole in the ground. Get angry just thinking about it.

I'm guilty of having put in most of it. I decided to go in the opposite direction. I built an above ground box and all of the valves are above ground on quick disconnects the electrics are on quick disconnects. In a couple of weeks I will kill the water, spin the quick disconnects and pull the whole valve manifold system and put it in the basement for winter. I will never have a frozen busted valve again.
Done. Even if I forget it, repairs can be done at the kitchen table.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
Persimmon growers?
I have free for the taking an American persimmon seedling...
gregkdc
What are you growing in your garden this year?
Hi all, I'm new to Northern Utah. We moved here in...
sf_mia
Weed prevention and where to buy mulch in Utah Co.
First time homeowner and brand new to gardening. Going...
new2guardening
Poppy Changing Color
I planted orange poppies about 18 years ago. They moved...
BeverlyA95
Should I steer clear of these "fast-growing" shade trees?
I just planted the following fast-growing shade trees...
timsondrup
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™