Heritage honeysuckle

kvolk(5aUt)April 21, 2007

Late last fall my dad gave me a honeysuckle that I burried in my pile of wood chips for the winter. I got it planted last night. I suspect that this vine will stay in my yard as long as I am around whether I like it a lot or not. When my great grandparents were forced out of Mexico by the Mexican revolution my great grandmother dug up her honeysuckle, stuck it in a milk can and took it north across the border with her. The vine that I planted last night is a cutting off a cutting.....etc of that same vine. This cutting came from a great uncles yard. I am kind of anxious to see how it does. I moved a clematis that wasn't doing real well and put it next to a power pole that I would like to get covered.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stevation(z5a Utah)

Sounds pretty cool to have a family heirloom like that! I hope it does well and that you like it. I like honeysuckle, but my wife doesn't want me to plant it by our arbor, because she doesn't want something that attracts bees. I remember when I had a 'Hall's Honeysuckle' in California, and in the spring it would grow a foot a week. Nice fragrance, too.

Bookmark   April 23, 2007 at 2:49PM
More Discussions
Any Cedar City locals?
My husband and I live in the Cedar City area and are...
kimba217
Best fruit trees for South Ogden area
Just bought a home and want to put about 4 fruit trees...
mattsk42
Persimmon growers?
I have free for the taking an American persimmon seedling...
gregkdc
Utah conifer grafting?
I am looking for somebody that has done some conifer...
treeforme
Ideas for small shrubs?
I'm losing my mind searching plant databases that will...
new2guardening
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™