Argh, I hate the birds!

newgen(9 Central California)September 26, 2010

What do you guys do to protect your longans, or any fruit trees for that matter? At least half of my longans are lost to birds already. I'm thinking of wrapping chicken wire fence around the whole plant, and on top. The branches that still have some fruits, had lots more just last week.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hmhausman(FL 10B)

For birds, there is bird netting that is cheap and practical for smaller trees. My trees are generally too large and I just have to share with the birds and their good friends the raccoons and possums.

Harry

Bookmark   September 26, 2010 at 3:40PM
newgen(9 Central California)

This tree is no more than 5' tall, I have put down 4 x 2 posts around it, and will staple the wire fence around those posts. My grapes were devoured by the ground squirrels and now birds swooped down on my longans.

Bookmark   September 26, 2010 at 4:21PM
simon_grow

I have a fake Hawk that worked for a few weeks but the birds smartened up and don't fall for it anymore. Now I have to put bird netting, which i picked up at Armstrong Nurseries for $10. I also use long strips of aluminum foil tied to the netting and this has worked for me so far. Just be sure the aluminum doesn't touch your plants.

You may consider planting some cat nip to attract more cats. Nice looking Longan, what variety is that?

Bookmark   September 27, 2010 at 12:48AM
newgen(9 Central California)

Simon,
Quite a few of my fruit trees are of an unknown (to me) cultivars, due to the fact that family members got them for me and never bothered to ask the sellers that info. The bird nesting that you're referring to, is it fine mesh, kinda like window screen?

Bookmark   September 27, 2010 at 2:25AM
simon_grow

No, the holes are about 1cm wide and very flexible. You can just cut a length and drape it over your plants. I can water my plants like normal.

Bookmark   September 27, 2010 at 2:05PM
simon_grow

Correction, I just looked more closely at the netting and the holes are about 3/4 inch wide.

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 2:12PM
More Discussions
WTB Wax Jambu, Star fruit and Barbados Cherry cuttings
Want to buy (WTB) cuttings of the following plants Star...
poetie
Sick Passionfruit Leaves
Hi Any clue about this leaves disorder? It looks like...
jalilu
Lychee like grapes
I just sat down reading some of the forum posts with...
zone10aridgardener
My Chikoo (Sapodilla) is flowering!
Hello everyone! I am glad to see how my young tree...
MohammadLawati
Sugar Apple Leaf Problem
Hello all; can you tell what is the issue with my Sugar...
BahamaDan ZTropic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™