Life Imitates Art ...

roselee z8b S.W. TexasMay 23, 2012

This anole seems to be practicing how to be a big bad dragon so someday he can scare the livin' daylights out of Max dog who chases anoles, but seldom makes a catch ...

The pot was a flea market find. I thought the anole on it was cute enough to show you so while we're here I'll throw in a couple of other photos.

If you've ever looked at garden art at the plant nurseries you really appreciate what you can do for free. A thrift shop had a star burst clock in the trash can from where I retrieved it. The non-working clock was removed and I was looking for a mirror to put in its place. Patty came up with a hub cap she'd found by the side of the road. Perfect! The star burst was antiqued to match the bird cage and here's the result -- all for free ...

I have something similar I'm working on for the opposite side of the yard and if I can get them lined up just right you might get zapped onto the Starship Enterprise if you intercept the beam ;-)

Here's the back yard strawberry pot I got at Yeya's. Some hardy hens and chicks I had on hand were planted in the holes just to have something to hold help hold the soil in while the portalaca grows. The seeds planted in it have already germinated so it should be quite colorful soon ...

That's all folks. And keep your eyes open for good junque to decorate the garden.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PKponder TX(7b)

Your garden and garden art is so lovely! I'm a teensy bit envious even though I know that envy is quite unattractive :-)

I love the starburst clock turned mirror! What a great use for a hubcap!

Pam

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 6:49PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Thank you Pam. Thing is -- I get garden 'envy' when I see y'alls gardens! Maybe it's better to say I get garden 'inspiration'. Whateva', I get a real case of 'inspiration' when seeing succulent collections, beautiful pots and garden art like I've been looking at today on the below linked site.

But mostly I do enjoy my little yard and I sincerely want everyone to enjoy their plants, however many or few they have; and enjoy their yards, however large or small it is. That's what gardening is all about, right?

Here is a link that might be useful: Splendiferous in Santa Ana ...

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 7:36PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

Oh my, wonder if I can still retrieve my clock from the trash? That is beautiful.

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 9:00PM
PKponder TX(7b)

Well said Roselee!

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 9:55PM
reubix1

Hi, I noticed a link to one of my blog posts here, so thought I'd say hello. My blog about design, gardening and art is based in sunny, hot, dry Southern California and my aesthetic bent is toward junk, industrial and flea market finds used in unique ways. Please feel free to check it out, I think your readers will find much to enjoy. Here're a couple of recent posts you might find interesting: Enjoy!

http://ranchoreubidoux.com/2012/05/16/oxidized-opportunity/

http://ranchoreubidoux.com/2012/03/31/color-studies/

http://ranchoreubidoux.com/2012/03/11/backward-glance/

http://ranchoreubidoux.com/2012/02/08/strange-relations/

Here is a link that might be useful: Rancho Reubidoux

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 10:52PM
bossjim1

Mighty pretty. What's the name of the rose in the blue pot?
Jim

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 11:16PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

reubix1, I'm not sure you'll check back in here, but I want to say I did enjoy the links you provided. I only discovered your site today and haven't had time to explore your site. I especially liked the photos of your own garden. For me nothing is so beautiful as repurposed, or purposed, objects as art tastefully arranged with plants in the landscape. You do that well. Thank you!

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 11:29PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Jim, the rose is a polyantha, Gabrielle Privat. I like it so much I have three of them. I should try to start some cuttings for the swap.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gabrielle Privat on HelpMeFind ...

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 11:58PM
rock_oak_deer(8b TX)

That's a cool photo of the anole!

I love what you've done with the old cage and the "mirror" on top too.

Your garden changes so much, I'll have to take more pics when I come back!

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 4:53PM
More Discussions
Lady Banks on roof
Lady Banks, Old Blush, and Mermaid (not yet blooming)...
catheyz8rr
info about gardening in Dallas?
My daughter just bought a house and has asked for help...
teacup754
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap - Free
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap Join us on facebook for...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
Big orange tree in fruit ...
I don't know why I've never seen it before, but there...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Has anyone checked out the best place to get flagstone ....
Has anybody checked out the best place to get flagstones...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™