Kiwi pollinator

kentnsueMay 29, 2013

I have several female kiwi of the 'hardy' type, but my male died. Does any one know a gardner who has a flowering male kiwi in Utah? I have some lonely females who will go without fruit unless I can get some pollen.

My male lived long enough to produce five blossoms in a single season. That year I put the blossoms in a blender, strained the water off and put it in a hand sprayer to mist my female plant. I got several gallon of fruit that year. None since because I lacked the pollinator.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ann_02(6B)

How do you do this in Utah? Do you winter indoors? Pretty astounding! Hope you find/found a male "donor."

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 3:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
turrialgringo(7a)

I was at Millcreek Gardens yesterday. they have a bunch of Issai and I think they might of had one other variety which I forget, it might have been a male... (it was not right next to the Issia, it was 10-15 ft west of them. Talk to Scott. He'll know). I just bought a Flowercloud from OneGreenWorld.com It looks pretty healthy. We'll see how it does.
Where about do you live? I'm in SLC and wondering where exactly I should plant my hardies. My present location is west facing so it will have full sun exposure 12-8PM... I am afraid it might be too hot. Any thoughts?

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 12:16AM
More Discussions
Should I steer clear of these "fast-growing" shade trees?
I just planted the following fast-growing shade trees...
timsondrup
Any one growing magnolias in northern Utah/Ogden area.
I grew magnolias in Minneapolis MN zone 4/5 but since...
pamelavlcek
Persimmon growers?
I have free for the taking an American persimmon seedling...
gregkdc
What are you growing in your garden this year?
Hi all, I'm new to Northern Utah. We moved here in...
sf_mia
Any Cedar City locals?
My husband and I live in the Cedar City area and are...
kimba217
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™