Mexicola 'dwarf'. Super black fruit..

stanofhSeptember 12, 2011

Great taste-no peeling. And blackest Avo fruits you'll ever see. I wouldn't run out to own one if I was you...they are a third the size of Hass,and for sure do best with a second Avo to pollinate with. A need really. I thought I would save space,but other conditions make me wonder if a regular Hass would have been best. And I also didnt think the fruits would be so small. I was hoping just the tree!

Full size

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
simon_grow

Thanks for the info on the Mexicola fruit, how would you compare the taste of the fruit to a Hass?

I recently picked up a Holiday dwarf avocado but it probably won't fruit for several years because its in a pot. Let me know if you are interested in a branch of my Holiday so you can graft it onto your tree for polination or to top work it.
Simon

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 7:18PM
stanofh

Most Hass I've had were store bought-inferior to Mexicola fresh picked by far. They never wait a proper time to pick orchard fruit..
But,I did have an avocado tree many years ago-pit grown,that was just as good as this-but 6x or more larger..like small coconuts. That tree died from mysterious reasons.
But the dwarf Mexicola is fine and buttery-even my wife agrees. It did take the tedious attempt at peeling to convince her to eat in the salad, skin and all. She's convinced now, that's the way to eat them.

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 1:59PM
red_sea_me

They are such beautiful but small fruits. Yes, skin and all, such a great color and flavor addition.

congrats,
-Ethan

Bookmark   September 14, 2011 at 1:17AM
More Discussions
Need help with mango tree
I have a tree and was wondering if in the future it...
lindalepark2006713
Need help choosing containers for red maradol papaya
Hi friends, I am planning to start red maradol papaya...
vidnand
Do you have a Soursop that is producing fruit for you?
I purchased a Soursop back in 2009 and it has always...
bananafan
Lychee Mauritius finally blooming ....
My 10-year old Lychee Mauritius is finally in bloom....
bananafan
Is my tree a Sapote or a Sapodilla?
Hello, I am new to this forum and growing tropical...
waterfowler90
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™