Planning to Air Layer my Longan Tree - Help

behlgarden(9)September 13, 2011

Hi Folks, I have a tree that is about 8 feet tall and 8 feet wide, most probably its longan as it still has small fruit on it and someone earlier identified it as longan here.

Anyway, I see a great stalk that I could easily use for airlayering it. I heard that it takes about 8-12 weeks to get airlayerd tree. Has anyone done it successfully? are there any videos that explain how to do it? I read about it at lycheesonline but there was not photographic demo or video for it and I dont want to run the risk of losing a limb. any suggestions on

1. how to do it

2. When to do it. now, winter, or spring?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
murahilin(10 fl)

Have you tried using google to find out any of this info? There is a ton of info on google on how to air layer longans and other trees.

Youtube also has tons of video on how to air layer.

If you have any specific questions that you can't figure out after googling and stuff please feel free to ask.

As for when to air layer longan, spring is usually the best time but other times work also as long as it doesn't get too cold and kill your air layer. The root forming process just slows down in winter here in FL. You are in zone 9 so it may be best to wait until spring but maybe you could try a few air layers now and see what happens.

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 9:50PM
More Discussions
Cool climate Mango flowering.
Notice the flower structure seems very compact? Rootstalk...
stanofh
I'm in heaven this fine morning!
Well fellow tropical fruit growers, I am in heaven...
msmorningsong
Gac harvest
just finished my harvest of gac fruits
bitepourrie22
Edible Banana for Zone 9
Question- What edible banana (Musa) will work best...
Man-Go-Bananas
Maridol Papaya with large fruit growing in Hayward/SF bay area.
Grows On You.com has a photo posted by "Delonix" of...
stanofh
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™