my tropical plants :)

mango_kenSeptember 17, 2012

Hey guys, Ive been reading around here for a while but figured I would say hello and show what I have growing.

I have had various plants through the days. When we had our greenhouse still running I had a lemon tree, orange tree, pineapple plant, pineapple guava, and a fig tree. those are long gone now minus the fig tree.

This past may I went to Jamaica for a wedding and brought some goodies back. I had Naseberry (sapodilla) seeds and star apple (Chrysophyllum cainito) seeds these however did not grow thanks to my dad (long story). I also brought back some scotch bonnet pepper seeds, sugar cane and some mangos.

I now have about 10 scotch bonnets growing, they are only just now flowering since they didn't germinate until the end of may, I grew 3 sugar canes (gave one away) and I would have had more mangos but again thanks to my dad I only have a Julie seedling.

Here are some pictures of my progress.

Scotch bonnets

Mango and sugar cane

Little Julie

Now the next big hurdle is getting some tasty peppers and getting these to winter in my house....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houstontexas123(z9a)

very nice

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 12:41AM
mangodog(palm springs 9B)

Go Julie!

And what's a Scotch Bonnett, Ken? Is it a fruit? (guess I could google it!)

You mentioned the Green house - and all those plants "long gone" - did it go cold one winter where the heat went out, or bugs or.....?????

Or is it another "long story".....?

LOL.....good luck anyway, and keep us posted....

MDog

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 1:52PM
mango_ken

Hey Mangodog. Scotch bonnet peppers are a Caribbean version of habanero peppers. as for the greenhouse we had one of the biggest greenhouses in town but it was old (we celebrated its 90th anniversary) so it needed a lot of work and with big box stores selling junk plants for dirt cheap it was getting hard to compete. so about 4 years ago it was drop $100,000 or close it so my parents decided to close it down and with that went most of my tropical collection.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 7:40PM
Doglips(8b/9a)

I like hot food, scotch bonnets are brutal hot. I want nothing to do with them.

thanks for the pics.

sugar cane, intriguing....

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 2:08AM
dirtycoconuts(10B)

Sugar cane is natures Gatorade. I love a six inch section before and after a long day diving.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 8:40PM
More Discussions
Sick Passionfruit Leaves
Hi Any clue about this leaves disorder? It looks like...
jalilu
My Chikoo (Sapodilla) is flowering!
Hello everyone! I am glad to see how my young tree...
MohammadLawati
Help ID this Papaya plant
Hi A friend gave me a seedling grown from a seed they...
eagleeyesg
Do you have a Soursop that is producing fruit for you?
I purchased a Soursop back in 2009 and it has always...
bananafan
Tips on rooting wax jambu
Hi Everyone, I'm attempting to root some cuttings from...
stu123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™