Cedar oil

dereks(6 Utah)June 30, 2008

I am having a horrible time with grasshoppers and earwigs so I bought some cedar oil that is supposed to repel the bugs. The bottle has very few directions on how to use it. Do any of you have any suggestions for me? I'm really hoping this will work. I hate puting out poison, although I have done that. I've got just about the only garden in the neighborhood and I think the bugs know it.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dereks(6 Utah)

Since no one has been able to help me with this. I'll tell you what I learned. It does seem to work but after watering you have to reapply. One little bottle does not go far. This is something I won't use again for that reason.

I've decided to let the earwigs have their way. Most plants are surviving the attacks. The last few weeks I have noticed the garden is covered in spider webs with earwigs caught inside. I guess I'll just let the spiders do the work although I think earwigs will be never ending.

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 12:27PM
linda_utah

I don't know about cedar oil, but I've been using diatomacious earth against earwigs with good success. You do have to reapply after rain or watering, but the stuff does work. It also works against ants. You can buy it at most nurseries or online. A bag lasts a long time.

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 2:32PM
aquawise(zone 4 Utah)

Just dampen some rolled up news papers (just damp) lay them out around the damage area. Each morning gather them up put them in plastic bags and trash them, Works for me. keeps them under control. No chems. The buggers love cool damp places to spend there days. FYI

Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 1:07AM
dereks(6 Utah)

I have heard about the newspaper and was actually thinking about trying it out. I was also thinking of puting a little honey on the paper to attract them inside. Bad idea?

Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 1:54PM
More Discussions
Persimmon growers?
I have free for the taking an American persimmon seedling...
gregkdc
Freshly planted Cucumber dug up
So I planted Cucumber Last night and a dog dug them...
rlarsen86
Western hemlock in northern Utah?
Does anyone know of any cases of tsuga heterophylla...
Jim-Ogden-Utah
Tree browser
Just thought I'd send this great link from USU extension...
Kari Olar
Best fruit trees for South Ogden area
Just bought a home and want to put about 4 fruit trees...
mattsk42
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™