Great 'Privacy' trees for narrow areas

paula_roseJune 19, 2008

Hi There,

We recently moved into the Canyon Rim area and found that our neighbors are able to see into our backyard from their back porch (where they like to spend a lot of time). We like our privacy and were wondering what were some good trees that can grow in a somewhat narrow area....we have a very long strip of planting area but the width is only aboout 5 feet..We'd like something that wont grow too 'wide' so its not in their yard too, but that can provide us with a lot of privacy and will stay that way long term. Hope this isnt too much of a messy message, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stevation(z5a Utah)

Swedish aspens will grow fast and in a narrow, columnar shape. Mine are about 30' tall after six years of growth. Only about 5' wide. They can send out some suckers (sprouts off of the roots) but not as many as traditional quaking aspens.

There are plenty of other columnar trees, including maples and oaks, but they probably don't grow as fast as these aspens. The downside is that most fast-growing trees are shorter-lived than the slower trees. I think the Swedish aspens should live 20 years or so, which is plenty long for a typical homeowner's tenure in a home. But if you want to plant permanently for future generations, pick a maple or oak.

These are all deciduous, so they don't provide much privacy in winter. You can also find some columnar evergreens, including firs, spruces, and pines, but I don't know them as well. A good local nursery should be able to help you pick the right tree, if you tell them the characteristics you want (how tall, how narrow, how fast it should grow, evergreen vs. deciduous, etc.).

Bookmark   June 20, 2008 at 5:48PM
psittacine

paula_rose, how tall do they need to mature to in order to work for your situation? Are you hoping for evergreen or will a dense deciduous work? If a deciduous, relatively fast grower to 6'- 9'h. x 2'w. will work, I'd suggest you may want to look into Rhamnus frangula 'Fine Line'. This is the plant I will probably get for the same purpose. You could actually stager two rows in the narrow 5' area you have, to obtain even more privacy.

Crystal

Bookmark   June 23, 2008 at 2:26AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I have known persons to plant at least two rows; a tall evergreen and a row of something like a Lombardi poplar. The poplar provides some coverage until the evergreen has time to establish itself then it is removed.

I have also know persons in Utah who get quite upset when the neighbor erects an obstruction to their view.

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 12:40PM
paula_rose

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
We're in talks with my in-laws landscaper to see if we can find something we really like...although i just read a previous thread on bamboo, we will look into that too.
We only need the growth to be about 8 ft. tall
Not to worry Albert135, we are not obstructing their view, as our yard runs east/west, the views are all of the mountains- east!

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
2015 Season, what are your goals?
I'm hoping to assist my sister with her new yard, which...
abq_bob
Extremely large ensete bananas in Cache Valley
Ensete bananas thriving outdoors in Cache Valley.
arctictropical
Should I steer clear of these "fast-growing" shade trees?
I just planted the following fast-growing shade trees...
timsondrup
Need help identifying a fruit tree
I have a fruit tree that is 10 feet tall and clearly...
mms08
What are you growing in your garden this year?
Hi all, I'm new to Northern Utah. We moved here in...
sf_mia
Sponsored Products
Solar 23 Foot Long LED White Rope Lights
$24.91 | Lamps Plus
Fiberbuilt 9-ft. Palm Tree Fiber Teak Market Umbrella Multicolor - 9PPP-4692
Hayneedle
Black & White Zebra & Polka Dot Elf Stocking
$19.99 | zulily
Jane Seymour Lavendar Phalaenopsis Orchid 19H in. Silk Flower Arrangement Multic
$70.00 | Hayneedle
Couture Fiesta Key Palm Silver Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
New Floral Pakistani Chobi Peshawar 14' Round Blue Hand Knotted Wool Rug H3783
BH Sun Inc
Starlight Sphere - 12" dia. - Christmas Decorations
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Trex Chairs Surf City Textured Silver Patio Dining Side Chair with Tree House
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™