Crepe Myrtle Trees in Salt Lake Valley

pcanJune 25, 2010

I would like to get a couple Crepe Myrtle trees for our yard but am not sure if they will grow here. Does anyone know if it is possible?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ABQ_Bob(USDA 5a/SS 2A)

I doubt it. They're only supposed to be hardy to Zone 7, and Most of Salt Lake is Zone 5 or Zone 6 if you want to push it a bit. If you did get them to survive, I'm sure they would die to the ground each winter, so they'd be more like a small herbaceous shrub that re-sprouts if it makes it through the winter.

Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 8:33PM
pcan

I have checked my zone several times from several different sources and I see Zone 5, Zone 6 and zone 6b. I am pretty sure I am zone 6. Anyway I did some searching and found the Hopi Crepe Myrtle. It is supposed to be the hardiest of the species and is supposed to grow in zone 6. But they do not get very big. I think it was about 7 to 10 feet. Has anyone ever grown a Hopi before? I am thinking about it but would need to pick the right spot.

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 4:12PM
bcreighton7(Z6b/UT)

No for most crepe myrtles, but there are a few new northern varieties you will have to get if you want success. I have a ToTo which stayed out in a pot last year and did fine. Planted it this year, but out front where it will get more winter wind - we'll see.

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 5:20PM
bcreighton7(Z6b/UT)

Sorry, that should be a Tonto (red) crepe myrtle.

Bookmark   January 20, 2011 at 8:06PM
lassiedeb(z6 UT)

There are a couple of crepe myrtles that are thriving - long term - in Salt Lake City. They are in the Sugarhouse area on 17th South and 21st East. One is on a south facing wall of the brick home on the north east corner of the intersection and is a beautiful pink color when in bloom. The other is planted on an east facing wall (kind of s.e. corner of the house) of the home on the northwest corner of that same intersection. It is a deeper more lavendar pink when in bloom. I have no idea of the cultivars but these have been growing there for years and wintering over with no other apparent protection. I would say they are about 8' tall. I always enjoy driving by these when they bloom. Makes me think of Memphis, where I first saw this beautiful kind of tree.

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 6:53PM
More Discussions
Irrigating Raised Vegetable Beds
We built some raised vegetable beds this year and just...
Butterfly06
Purple passion vine transplant. BEGINNER Please Help
This is the second one I've brought home. It actually...
kaytee613
Poppy Changing Color
I planted orange poppies about 18 years ago. They moved...
BeverlyA95
Any Cedar City locals?
My husband and I live in the Cedar City area and are...
kimba217
Anyone growing Goji berry (Lycium barbarum)
Hi: Trying to find people who actually grow this fruit....
gardenfreak
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™