Fall Planting

gingerflowerJuly 26, 2008

I am interested in growing some crops for fall harvest. Does anyone know when to plant the seeds? Will they grow in the heat? I would like to try the peas again since I only got two to come up in the spring. Does anyone know what else may be successful?

Thanks in advance,

Gingerflower

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
photopilot

We too are about to start our fall/winter beds. We just uprooted our first bed that was begun in April all our salads and such went to seed.
Western Garden has a handout of what and when to plant for fall. Most start in mid August. I will find the handout and give some more details later, but I am also interested in hearing from people here.
Jordan

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 8:41PM
gingerflower

Photopilot I would love to have those details if you have the time. I would also love to be having fresh lettuce again. Thanks for the input, if nothing else I will use mid-august as my planting date.

Gingerflower

Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 1:36PM
photopilot

Gingerflower,
Just found the list and pretty much everything is mid August, except for the winter items. If you include a list of what you plan on planting I will look over my information and let you know if anything is outside the mid August planting period.

I have just gotten my fall garden put together (doing a square foot garden this time). I have to finish mixing the soil tomorrow and will plant the fall garden this weekend.

Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 11:57PM
mstudebaker

I would also love to see this type of list. This is our first time trying to plant a fall garden and we are just looking to see what can be done--no matter what it is.

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 9:43PM
theoriginalskooby

I have heard that fall brussel sprouts are good. I was going to plant a second crop of potatoes. I also planned on doing some more root crop. I was thinking turnips so that I can dig them up as I need them. Any ideas on anything else that winters well?

Bookmark   August 19, 2008 at 2:38PM
gingerflower

Photopilot,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I'm sorry I got busy and forgot to check back, you know how life can throw all kinds of surprises at you? Well that's what happened. :)

We did end up planting a few things just last week, so I hope they work. We tried some beets, lettuce, beans, peas, and beets. I am hoping something comes up, I am missing fresh lettuce and would like to try beet greens. My husband will be devastated if the beets don't come up in fact, since he has tried beets 3 other times and they haven't worked. He's feeling like they are his challenge now. Is there some secret beet planting technique we don't know about? :)

Our summer produce is slower than we would like, but we are still learning. I think our biggest lesson for this year is to start with the soil! :) I've heard it, but now I KNOW it's true. :)

If anyone has any fall crops come up I would love to hear about them!

Gingerflower

Bookmark   August 24, 2008 at 10:56PM
More Discussions
Other forum suggestions
I am new to this site. From from I've read, other forums...
lme50
Need help identifying a fruit tree
I have a fruit tree that is 10 feet tall and clearly...
mms08
Rosemary
Anybody have luck keeping rosemary through the winter?...
wfpineda
What are you growing in your garden this year?
Hi all, I'm new to Northern Utah. We moved here in...
sf_mia
Weed prevention and where to buy mulch in Utah Co.
First time homeowner and brand new to gardening. Going...
new2guardening
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™