grass seed

larafacitNovember 4, 2006

We were told by the company that we bought our grass seed from that we were putting in our seed the perfect time of year. So far it has been 12 days and nothing. Should I just walk away and forget it? Will it germinate in the spring, or will we have to start all over again in the spring?

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bpgreen(5UT)

What kind of seed is it? It takes 3 or 4 weeks for kentucky blue grass to germinate in the best conditions.

I think it was probably a bit too cool to expect the seeds to germinate now. They might, but it'll probably taked more than 12 days. Also, the soil needs to stay damp pretty much all the time until they germinate. I'm afraid that if they do germinate now, they won't get enough growth before you get too cold for the grass.

Your best results will probably be if the grass doesn't germinate now, and instead you get what is known as dormant seeding, where the seed is on the ground dormant until it starts to warm up in the spring.

Since the ground is wet from melted snow and spring rains, you don't need to do anything to keep it damp. Also, the snows and the freeze/thaw cycles should help with seed to soil contact. I would watch for germination in the spring. Also, make sure you don't apply any preemergents next spring. Also, don't apply any broadlef weed killers until you've mowed the new grass at least three times (I think that's the rule).

Bookmark   November 4, 2006 at 3:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimh6278

Last spring i scattered seed on top of the snow in march. When the snow melted it carried the seed into cracks in the soil. The results were great. Since i have a lawn of sorts i am over-seeding with rtf grass seed. This year i am going to do the same thing again and hope it works.

Bookmark   November 27, 2006 at 12:11PM
More Discussions
Pawpaw seedlings
I have in Payson, pick up only, 6 free pawpaw seedlings....
gregkdc
Anyone growing Goji berry (Lycium barbarum)
Hi: Trying to find people who actually grow this fruit....
gardenfreak
Purple passion vine transplant. BEGINNER Please Help
This is the second one I've brought home. It actually...
kaytee613
Need help identifying a fruit tree
I have a fruit tree that is 10 feet tall and clearly...
mms08
Any Cedar City locals?
My husband and I live in the Cedar City area and are...
kimba217
Sponsored Products
Lakeview 1Lt Post Antique Bronze Clear Seeded
PLFixtures
Mirrored Window Hopper Bird Feeder
$39.99 | zulily
Area Rug: Excondido Sepia 8' x 11'
Home Depot
6" French Bronze Dragonfly Tube Birdfeeder
Fifthroom.com
Lights Up | Oscar Table Lamp
$146.00 | YLighting