Soil Moist

cath41(6a)September 8, 2010

Has anyone used these gel pellets in pots for plants that like steady moisture? Soil Moist is only one of the brands. I have used it in the garden and been happy with it. It helps the survival of new plantings for the first year or two. However I have not used it in pots. Somewhere I read that it also keeps the soil from becoming too wet because it absorbs excess moisture.

Cath

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mango_kush

are those the marble sized beads they use for potting medium?

they are alot like hydroponic growing. theres no medium to absord water so there is no chance of root rot however watering and liquid fertilizing needs to be done regularly.

i grow citrus in containers, i am switching from a peat potting based mix to a bonsai mix of equal parts diatomaceous earth (turface MVP), bark fines and growers grit (turkey grit).

its been dubbed Als gritty mix, pretty popular in the citrus forum

Bookmark   September 9, 2010 at 12:30AM
red_sea_me

I use the Soil Moist 'Container Mix Plus' w/mycorrhiza and ferts, I put a pinch in with all my soils. To me it seems to make a difference but there could be many other factors involved. For sure my Hak Ip lychee responded very well to being repotted into new soil that had Soil Moist added to it. I've never taken the time to run controlled studies but adding it cant hurt. I've added to citrus, figs, annonas, artocarpus, salak, Spanish lime, muntingia, cacao, dragon fruit, epiphylum, etc.

-Ethan

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil Moist

Bookmark   September 9, 2010 at 2:50AM
cath41(6a)

Mango Kush,
In my experience the gel is added to the soil mix. It is not the sole medium. If you add one tablespoon of the gel to one quart of water, in less than one hour the gel will have absorbed all the water and will have filled the container. You wouldn't have to add much to a pot.

I had planned to try Al's gritty mix myself but am having trouble finding the grit.

Ethan,
Thanks for the information. Do you use the gel because you garden in dry conditions?
Cath

Bookmark   September 10, 2010 at 12:21AM
red_sea_me

Cath,
I originally bought it as a source for mycorrhiza, the rest are bonuses for me.

-Ethan

Bookmark   September 10, 2010 at 3:05AM
More Discussions
Sick Passionfruit Leaves
Hi Any clue about this leaves disorder? It looks like...
jalilu
Tips on rooting wax jambu
Hi Everyone, I'm attempting to root some cuttings from...
stu123
Rehabilitated Mango
Hello; this is a mango that has been in our yard for...
BahamaDan ZTropic
Avocado Help
Hello everyone, I recently started gardening as a hobbie....
Steelsax2015
My Chikoo (Sapodilla) is flowering!
Hello everyone! I am glad to see how my young tree...
MohammadLawati
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™