Storing Garden Products over the Winter?

beth4(z5 - Utah)November 2, 2007

I have an unheated garden shed in my back yard. I am thinking about storing the left-over garden products in the shed over the winter, instead of wintering them in the unheated garage which attached to the house, and is warmer -- insulation, insulated garage door, etc. The question I have is whether the cold temperatures of the unheated shed will affect the performance of these products next summer. These are things like Round-up, Brush & Weed Killer, Grass Killer, Ozmacote granular fertilizer, and a product you apply to tree suckers that reduces significantly the problem of keeping scrub oak out of landscaped beds.

So, what do you guys think? Should I go ahead and move them to the shed? Or should I over-winter them in the garage?

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stevation(z5a Utah)

Sorry this has waited a week for an answer. I was hoping someone else who knew would reply. I have to think that freezing will change some of the liquid products, but I'm not sure. I keep Roundup and some other things in my garage, and if it freezes, its only very lightly. I'd bet the granular stuff is OK, but just to be safe, I'd keep the liquid products in the garage.

Bookmark   November 9, 2007 at 10:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bpgreen(5UT)

I'm with Steve, but doubly sorry because when I first saw it I thought I'd wait a day or two and if there was no answer suggest that you try the Soil, Compost and Mulch forum. I'm not sure if that's the best fit, but it's a reasonably good fit.

I think any of the solids or pellets should be ok. I think one of the biggest problems with liquids is that when water freezes it expands, so you could end up with some burst jugs and a mess.

Bookmark   November 10, 2007 at 1:42AM
More Discussions
Extremely large ensete bananas in Cache Valley
Ensete bananas thriving outdoors in Cache Valley.
arctictropical
Western hemlock in northern Utah?
Does anyone know of any cases of tsuga heterophylla...
Jim-Ogden-Utah
Anyone growing Goji berry (Lycium barbarum)
Hi: Trying to find people who actually grow this fruit....
gardenfreak
Any Cedar City locals?
My husband and I live in the Cedar City area and are...
kimba217
Utah conifer grafting?
I am looking for somebody that has done some conifer...
treeforme
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™