First coffee roasting

gnappiOctober 11, 2013

I've been growing coffee for over 3 years and never had enough coffee cherries to get a sufficient amount to roast, grind and brew it.

This year two of my 8 bushes are producing a large crop and tonight I FINALLY made coffee. I used an old vintage Melitta roaster, a BURR grinder and brewed just like store bought.

What a surprise! it had an almost nutty flavor, and I've read that the taste changes a lot with longer or shorter roasting times.

Now when I watch TV, I busy myself pulling the skins off and preparing them for roasting. It's a PITA but worth it! When all of my bushes are producing I'll have to find a better method of husking the cherries though, any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stanofh

How fast do they grow for you,and how much sun do they take? I have one that's two years old..but not more then 10". A seedling from Lowes. Looks nice,but slow. I wonder if part sun is too shady here? Maybe full sun.

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 6:16PM
gnappi

Most on the ones that are producing now were larger than yours when I bought them.

I have half in full sun and the rest in shade. The ones in sun seem to produce more and grow faster. Mine are in the ground a bit over 3 years and are 4'-5' tall.

Be patient, they take off around 3 years if they're in the ground and get enough water.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 5:24AM
James AKA lumpy_j

Do you eat the cherries? I have 3 trees about 2' tall in a pot. No flowers yet, so no fruit. I'm curious about how the cherries taste.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 8:01PM
gnappi

The beans / seeds I haven't tasted but the cherry shell is sweet but insipid. I'm surprised ants don't go after them.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 8:58PM
sf_rhino

The ones I've tasted in the past were rather pleasant, like a sweeter, softer rose hip. It sounds like that is a variable trait. Too bad.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 2:08PM
stanofh

Thanks Gnapp. I had always thought they were shade plants. My previous tries were shade in pots. They died by December. The new one is in part sun ground and,If I add more,then a even sunnier spot.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 7:40PM
More Discussions
Avocado Help
Hello everyone, I recently started gardening as a hobbie....
Steelsax2015
My Chikoo (Sapodilla) is flowering!
Hello everyone! I am glad to see how my young tree...
MohammadLawati
Is my tree a Sapote or a Sapodilla?
Hello, I am new to this forum and growing tropical...
waterfowler90
Tips on rooting wax jambu
Hi Everyone, I'm attempting to root some cuttings from...
stu123
Need help choosing containers for red maradol papaya
Hi friends, I am planning to start red maradol papaya...
vidnand
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™