Privacy Trees in Full Shade

RottevnmJanuary 4, 2014

Hi - I have zero experience in gardening. I live in Springfield VA and the house behind me is very unsightly. I blindly tried planting Leland Cyprus trees but I have little to no sun. I checked the shadow line hourly one day in the summer and verified little to no direct sun. The 60 year old community was built around very large trees. Is there a shade friendly tree I can use to add privacy/ block the view? I like the shape of a Crape Myrtle, but I know that is not an option. I don't particularly want an evergreen, I would rather something that my 16 month old can eventually run around and I will still be able to do some light yard work around.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clanross(7b Virginia)

Hello! I am new to Southern Va and we are looking for a property around Williamsburg/Toano/New Kent. Does anyone have experience growing a big garden/orchard on bottom land? We are looking at a property in New Kent near the Chickahominy River (16 acres). Sometimes there are small patches of standing water when I have driven by in the last month or so. The land appears to be very fertile for conventional farming, but it is only 30 feet above sea level (according to Google Earth) and we are concerned about it being too wet to grow some things. What do think? We are currently in Williamsburg. My husband really likes this property, but would hate it to disappoint his blueberry patch dreams. :) Any help would be very appreciated.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
New home for any unwanted winter holiday plants
I'm interested in any of the holiday plants used for...
dhd47
Success with Heather?
Has anyone had any success with growing heath/heather...
shawnees
Pomegranates This Winter
I'm wondering if there are any particular strategies...
drmbear
New to Virginia - Vegtable Theif
I am new to Virginia, Fort Eustis to be precise. And...
armywifecw
4-season perennials for clay soil
We are looking for some shrubs/other plants to cover...
jackileighw
Sponsored Products
Nico Satin Nickel One-Light Halogen Wall Sconce with Clear Stone Glass
$162.00 | Bellacor
Midtown Burnished Bronze Three-Light Pendant
$209.90 | Bellacor
Safavieh Handmade Ikat Ivory/ Red Wool Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Betty Hall Tree Organizer
$169.99 | zulily
Large Size Traditional Style Copper Glazing Flush Mount with Empire Flavor
ParrotUncle
Hampton Mini Pendant
Lightology
Stacked Crystals Table Lamp
$234.90 | Horchow
Besa Lighting | Focus Low Voltage Pendant Light
$238.50 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for: