Which tree to plant in spring?

bethinvirginiaJanuary 1, 2012

I am looking to plant a flowering tree on the border between my lawn and my neighbor's for some screening and also flowering. I planted some dwarf burford hollies but I have plenty of space to include a small or large tree as well because I realized I'd like to (eventually) have some screening for part of my deck from the neighbor's deck. The area is full sun. I'd prefer a native plant, like a white dogwood, eastern redbud, and would prefer one that does not have tons of leaves to rake or high maintenance.

I also plan to put in a white dogwood closer to the house, would it look strange to have a matching dogwood?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
genek_va

I think a Pink Dogwood, Japanese Cherry or dwarf Crab Apple should all look nice .

Bookmark   January 12, 2012 at 3:44PM
esh_ga

Serviceberry (Amelanchier) is also a nice native tree that flowers in spring and has berries that the birds adore.

Bookmark   January 23, 2012 at 10:27AM
nativeplanter(8a)

You have a lot of choices. Part of it depends where in the state you live. We vary between warm coastal areas and cool mountain areas, which can affect what you might be able to grow. It also depends on just how large of a tree you are looking for.

When I think of screening, I usually turn to evergreens. My favorite natives for this purpose are southern magnolia, American holly, yaupon holly, southern wax myrtle, and red cedar. Rhododendrons and mountain laurels are great if you live in an area where they will grow (I don't).

Non-evergreen natives that might work for you (lower maintenance and have some sort of interesting flowers, bark, or leaves) include bald cypress, river birch, any of the hawthorns, white fringetree, or any of the Viburnums.

Hope this helps!

Bookmark   January 26, 2012 at 2:06PM
More Discussions
New home for any unwanted winter holiday plants
I'm interested in any of the holiday plants used for...
dhd47
Covering a Pergola with vines. Which ones?
I have a pergola here in Virginia. Right on the Newport...
virginia_mike
Anyone live near the Compton's oak in Williamsburg, Va?
Either the Ghirardi oak or the Champion Comton's oak...
poaky1
Market for Worm Castings
Hi Everyone: I'm brand new so please forgive my na�vet�. My...
AutumnsEnd
Planting onion bulbs
I noticed they had onion bulbs on sale at the Fair...
dhd47
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™